Monday, February 01, 2010

Out of the cold for a little while

Dave and I took a last minute and only semi-planned trip last weekend. We needed a little time out of the ice and snow, so four days at Sanibel Island fit the bill perfectly!

Sanibel is known for its amazing seashell-strewn beaches, and our cabin was on part of the beach that had some of the biggest deposits of shells. We did a little shell hunting ourselves, but there were some serious hunters out there! I don't know which was more amusing...find the shells or watching the shell hunters.  There were piles and piles and piles of this:

Happy and warm?  Yes, I like to be happy and warm. We had four lovely days of being happy and warm. Oh...and well fed!  Remember The Great Crabcake Tour of Labor Day Weekend, 2009?  Well, this weekend was my February Grouper Fest.  I decided to try grouper every which way and had it for almost every meal except breakfast.  Fried, baked, broiled and grilled. Sandwich, salad, appetizer "bites"...you name it, I tried it.  And it was goooooood!

So here I am during a morning beach walk when I was trying to walk off some of that delicious grouper from the night before.  But these chairs were way too inviting.  I think I was hoping for a beach cocktail server to come along and offer me something cold and frosty to drink. And then maybe a ride home.
Then all too soon it was time to come home. We put the camera on our porch rail to snap this picture. Such a lovely view from our porch.
And now it's back to work. But the sun is shining in my window and now Spring won't be too far off, so I'm a happy lady.

I stitched a bit while I was lazing around on the beach. Photo tomorrow.

19 comments:

  1. Oh my Look at all of those shells that is amazing.... I love your photos that you posted of the snow but even looking at them made me cold LOL

    I am so glad you enjoyed your warm vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Sanibel! Your trip sounds/looks wonderful and I'm so glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been there and now I'm totally jealous! You lucky girl, you! So nice to have such a getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sanibel Island is a wonderful spot! The Gulf waters are always a beautiful color and the undertow, currents are not near as bad as they are on my coast. Not much for surfers though. I'm glad you enjoyed a relaxing few days in my state!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a perfect trip, Lee--you both look so happy and relaxed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful get away. I live a street from the beach and love it. Glad you had a wonderful break

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fantastic time - love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I'm so insanely jealous that I can hardly see straight! But I'm also thrilled for you and that nice man you're married to. What a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That picture of shells is beautiful! Glad you had a wonderful break.

    For just a second I wondered why Stephen Colbert was in the photo with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos. Look at all those shells.

    Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing better than being in the sun with someone you love.Be always in stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky you! It was such a cold weekend here! I visited Sanibel while I was in college and got a wicked sunburn (on our last day). It was a long painful drive back to RI!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like a fantastic weekend, Lee! Great pics. I'm glad you got away for some R&R... even if the R&R wasn't linen. Bwah hah ha. I crack myself up. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a very relaxing trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy to see you had time away in Sanibel where I've heard all good things about . The shells pic would look beautiful framed as would the one of you and your husband. look forward to seeing your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how nice to get away! Looks like you had a lovely time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhh one of my most favorite places in all the world. Time slows down on Sanibel and the sand is so white! Glad you had such a great little get away. BTW, where did you stay?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Lee, this is a dream ........

    ReplyDelete