Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Books, cake, and fun

After Easter I drove to Philadelphia for a lovely evening reception at Anna's, where the guest of honor was Adrienne Martini, who read from and discussed her newest book, Sweater Quest.  I read Adrienne's blog faithfully, so even though I don’t knit, this was a huge treat for me.  Besides, I’ll bet many of us (particularly bloggers) really think about our projects.  We think about why we do what we do.  We think about why a project thrills us or why we want to throw it across the room.  We sometimes push ourselves out of our creative comfort zones, and sometimes that works and it’s all joyful and fulfilling and sometimes we decide to run happily back to what we know.

Anyway, here’s the book and you can find it almost anywhere.  Barnes and Noble had it on their New Fiction table at the store.  Not really fiction, right?  But that’s where it was.

So, where’s the cake?  To see it, you’ll need to go here, and believe you me, it tasted even better than it looked.  I don’t know what it is, but there is something about Philadelphia bakers and how they make only the best tasting cakes in the world.  I’ve lived in the Pittsburgh area for over 30 years now, and I’ve never had a cake here that’s tasted as good as a cake made in Philly.  (If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you know that I have a fondness for cake.  All cake, but especially party cake.  My favorite part of a party? The cake.)

On Friday I had a nice visit with my mother, brother, niece and nephew.  I have some family members who talk non-stop, so there was plenty of opportunity to take out some stitching Friday night.   Heck.  They’re my family.  They don’t mind if I listen with only one ear.  Then I drove back home on Saturday.
 
Sunday evening Dave and I went to another Mountain Stage taping in Morgantown, WV, where we heard some wonderful music.  The show ended with a song tribute to the miners who were killed in the recent Massey mine explosion.  I couldn’t help crying and I know I wasn’t the only one.

I have three good friends who work in the mines.  We know of one miner who goes five miles underground.  Another friend doesn’t go as deep, but when he’s not underground working, he tries to spend all of his time outside.  He just doesn’t want to come in – he needs the freedom of the open air.  I can only imagine what they think when this kind of accident happens. 

OK – more tomorrow and maybe even a stitching photo!

4 comments:

  1. Technically, it was an Exton cake, but maybe there's something in the water (besides toxic waste; oh wait, that's just Havertown). Or maybe you grew up eating Tasty Cakes and so you think Philly's cakes are the Tasty ones. I can assure you though, her cakes tasted as good when she made them in Virginia or Maine. ;)

    I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself, and even more glad I traded babysitting for the cake. I would have been devastated to know you were missing cake at the party.

    If it's true that most people think about their projects, I hope they will take this as a reason to start writing about this thinking on their blogs. That, I think, is the interesting stuff.

    See how easy it is when you write every day? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such a fun trip to Philly . I love that city! You have been a busy gal! Think of me this friday when I will be having cake for my daughter's 14th bday! yum-o!Looking forward to seeing your stitching photo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful trip! I think I am going to have to look for that book next time I hit the bookstore!

    ReplyDelete