Sunday, April 18, 2010

Simple and Sweet

Back in the late 80’s and early 90’s, my mom used to stitch along with me.  Well, actually I got her started and then she discovered that a coworker stitched, too.  So they’d spend their lunch times stitching together.  Mom stitched some lovely things, and she had some of them framed, but like the rest of us, she has a bunch of complete but unframed stitching. 

Time went by and Mom’s stitching friend retired.  Dad got sick.  Mom’s vision was hampered by catarcts.  (corrected now, thank goodness) And so on.  Even though I’ve tried to get her going again, she’s just not into it anymore.  So when I visited with her recently, we pulled out a few things that were hiding in bags and drawers and I brought them home to finish them in some way.

I thought this was adorable.  Sure, it’s dated.  Reckons back to when so many charts and kits were “country”.  But I loved its vibrant colors and simplicity.  So I kept the finish simple, too.  Mounted on a piece of mat board and glued to red felt.  Simple dimple.  It’ll look nice in her kitchen.  Or maybe mine?

moms 004

13 comments:

  1. Very cute!! Do classic lines such as, "Kiss the Cook" ever really go out of style?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice you were sharing this passion with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least there isn't a white goose on it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing to share a craft with a family member. Very cute piece and it would look cute in anyone's kitchen. I bet it was fun to look through her stuff. Maybe she would be interested in something on large (11ct) fabric using DMC threads. Those are always fun to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing to share a craft with a family member. Very cute piece and it would look cute in anyone's kitchen. I bet it was fun to look through her stuff. Maybe she would be interested in something on large (11ct) fabric using DMC threads. Those are always fun to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is so sweet and cheerful :-) Very pretty indeed, if it were me it might not leave my kitchen either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember that design! Maria S.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think its adorable. Definitely very nostalgic. :) I love how you finished it. What kind of glue did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so nice that you and your mom used to stitch together, Lee! This is so bright and cheery and I'll bet she'll be happy to have it finished and displayed in her kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE it. Love the colors! I would totally still stitch this if I had the pattern. Plus since my last name is Cook it would be extra perfect! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a cute finish, and cute is never dated!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute! Did you see the craft pouch over on Karen's blog? It looks like another fun way to finish small pieces.
    http://kvstitching.wordpress.com/2010/04/16/this-and-that/

    ReplyDelete