Friday, May 21, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Almost nothing feels as good as your own bed.  Especially after a terrible red-eye flight (seats in the back row, thank-you-very-much), coming home and going straight to work, and then dealing with the time difference the next morning.  My bed feels like it’s still calling me even today.  But there are so many things to do on so many fronts.  Work, kitchen, laundry, DUST.  For instance, even though my husband is a wonderful man, would it kill him to wipe down a countertop every once in a while?  Ewww.  And he never, ever puts anything away.  So I always come home to Crumbly Clutter world, and you can only imagine how it looked after I had been away for 8 days.

But I will not go on and on about a sloppy husband.  I’m not particularly neat myself, and he could probably write loads of posts about my terrible habits.

So – time for Trip Stitching!  Let me tell you, it wasn’t easy.  All of the long, flat roads were at the beginning of the trip, and it sounds nuts but at that point I was just way too nervous to stitch.  And then as the days went on, the scenery became so interesting that I’d stitch a little but spend most of my time looking out the windows.  Maybe if I ever do it again, I’d be more blase about the whole thing.  No – I doubt that.  But anyway, you ladies who when to camp with me in the fall will recognize this little thing.   It’s a freebie from CEC that had been kitted up and given as a camp kit.  The fabric is some kind of 9ct. linen and the threads are DMC.  If I had made up this kit, I would have used a darker linen.  I had to add some backstitching to the basket or it would have been nearly invisible. 

I have some red and green homespun fabric that I can use to make this into something like a pin pillow.

 trip stitch2

Here are a few trip pictures from my camera.  Colleen has loads more pictures that I can show you later. I just have to make her give them to me!  This first one is my son and me.  By the way, he seems to be enjoying his new adventure out there in Tiburon.  He had to drive a work truck from Tiburon to Oakland during rush hour yesterday and said it was kind of hair-raising.  But otherwise he’s enjoying kayaking in the bay, and he rode his bike from Tiburon to cross over the Golden Gate Bridge and back.  It’s a different situation from his internship last year – not as many people and no work crew to hang around with.  That was my biggest worry when I left – that he’d be lonely.  But John’s usually pretty outgoing and I think he’ll make some friends quickly.

Evaporation Basin, Utah

It’s easy enough to tell where we took this!

reno

And I’ll have better pictures of our tea once I steal Colleen’s camera…

tea2

Finally, I want to make a list of all of the May SBQ participants and add it to my sidebar.  My method is tedious though.  Can anyone suggest a quick way to make a list of names that links those names to blog posts? 

To work….

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you made it home safely!

    Can't wait to see more pictures!

    Smiles - Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! I feel the same way about being away. Even when the house is empty it still needs attention, when my husband/kids are home it needs sandblasting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is it that we need to rest up from vacation? It isn't fair!

    You can use Mister Linky to you blog posts...I dunno if it will work on the side bar or not. People can add their own links if they answer the questions. Explore this site and see if that's what you're looking for...

    http://www.misterlinky.net/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how you stitch in the car, Lee--I just can't do it! Nice trip photos--did the kids win anything?? Glad you made it home safely--enjoy your cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swore I'd never take another red eye after the one we took from Arizona to Florida last year. The plane was packed and I could not sleep a wink. I can't imagine going straight to work like you did. I think it took 2 days to recover. It just wasn't worth it.

    I particularly love the picture of you and your son with the view reflected in the lake. It sounds like you had a wonderful time and that he is doing well.

    ReplyDelete