Monday, June 07, 2010

June Stitching Bloggers Question

So many great things happen in the month of June.  Graduations, lots of weddings, the First Day of Summer (for those of us in the northern hemisphere, anyway).  Flag Day in the U.S. and St. Jean Baptiste Day for our Canadian friends.  And for many of us, the third Sunday in June is Father’s Day and it’s a pretty big deal.  We celebrate our fathers, or we remember our fathers or we try to treat our children’s fathers to a special day.  So I decided that this month’s SBQ was going to have fathers in it in some way.

And here we go:

Tell us about something that you have stitched or plan to stitch for any father in your life.  Maybe it’s for your father, your father-in-law, your children’s father, your grandfather, your godfather, or someone who was or still is an important father-figure in your life.  Why did you choose this particular piece of stitching?   Tell us the story behind it. 

And because a simple one part question is never adequate, let’s go some more:

Often times we identify our love of needlework and our skills with our mothers or grandmothers or other women.  It’s understandable because often they were are first teachers or role models.  Now let’s think about our stitching life as it relates to our dads.  Is there anything about our approach to stitching that we can recognize as traits of our fathers?  For instance, does your dad (or any other important man in your life) have an approach to one of his interests that you can observe and think, “Hey….if I substitute the word “needlework” for “fly fishing”, we’d be pretty darn similar!”  So tell us about it.

Coincidentally, today would have been my PopPop’s 101st birthday.  He’s passed away almost 30 years ago, but isn’t it so odd that I always remember his birthday?  And I can barely remember my own phone number some days.

14 comments:

  1. We always remember the important stuff Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I stitched a little Hungarian Welcome for my Dad many years ago when I first started stitching. He helped me pick out the DMC colors to represent the colors of the Hungarian flag. To say he was thrilled with it was an understatement.

    I think that I approach my stitching with a critical eye because my Dad taught me that if you are going to do something, do it right the first time. Anything he did was done to the best of his abilities and usually was perfect.
    How I miss him...he's been in Heaven 5 years this August.
    Thanks Lee for the thought provoking question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am planning on stitching the Memorial Sampler by Midsummer Night Stitching in memory of my dad sometime in the future. He just passed away in April after suffering from Alzheimer's Disease for quite some time.

    Before his illness got so severe, he kept busy during retirement by making macrame chairs and creating lots of designs with plastic canvas, so I must have inherited some of his crafty genes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My answer is up on my blog! Thanks, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since all my father-figures passed away long before I took up stitchery, I can't really answer this question properly. But I posted it at our forum t see if any other members can:

    http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=iv-hgstitchery&msg=8878.1

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really great question! You can find my answer at

    http://sharpsticksperils.blogspot.com/2010/06/june-stitching-bloggers-question.html

    Thank you for doing this! I love reading everyone's answers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine's up on my blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderfully thought-provoking question. About 15 years ago I stitched a profile of a buck deer for my dad for Christmas. It has probably been the most detailed item I have stitched. It was at a time when great healing had occurred in our relationship and I wanted to honor him. He a lover of all things outdoors which he passed along to me. My stitching reflects my dad in that he always pays attention to the smallest details in his own work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dad passed away too young, so he never got to see that his only daughter who insisted on doing Wood Shop instead of Home Ec did learn how to thread a needle. Nor did he get to see that his son in-law was the one to teach her how to thread the needle! I have done a bit of stitching for my husband and even for FIL. It was appreciated by both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy the SBQ's are back! My answers to both the May & June question are on my blog (entry dated 6/16/10).

    ReplyDelete