Sunday, July 25, 2010

Books, books, books

The desire to stitch still eludes me, but I've enjoyed other things in the meantime.  I've spent a lot more time reading this summer.  Some of it has been for book club, but most of the things I've read have been for my own enjoyment.

Maybe you've noticed the Goodreads widget in my sidebar.  I like having that little tool. I've always liked keeping track of the books I've read over the year so I kept paper lists in my datebooks but I've lost them all.  Now I really like being able to do it online.

Hey, wouldn't it be cool to have a stitching widget?  I wonder if one already exists?

But anyway, I've read some wonderful books this year and I've listened to some books that knocked my socks off.  I've also plodded through some books, given up on one or two, and I've even returned an audio book to Audible.com  because I couldn't understand most of it.  (Yes, they actually credited my account for that reason.  Cool.)  So I've had an interesting mix of things to read.

Of course, there are the book club selections.  For some reason, we've been kind of stuck in the 1940's, and as much as I like to read novels set in that time period, I'm completely burned out on WWII stories.  So my favorite book club selections so far this year have NOT been set in the 40's:  Darling Jim, by Christian Moerk and The Help, by Katherine Stockett.  I read each of these as audiobooks and they were outstanding

Then there have been books that I've read on my own.  Some when I've needed a laugh (The Spellman Files series, by Lisa Lutz), some when I've needed something to sink my chops into (Olive Kitteridge, by Elizabeth Strout), and some when I want to read something interesting but not too heavy (The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein).


Right now I'm reading The Namesake, by Jhumpa Lahiri.  Friends, I can hardly make myself come up for air when I'm reading this book. It's just that wonderful. 

Oh, hey...I receive Goodreads updates from a handful of you, but I'm always on the lookout for more book list sharers.  If you keep a Goodreads list, let me know.

 

14 comments:

  1. Interesting about the returning the audiobook to Audible. Didn't know you could do that. I've had a few where whole passages were missing and was so annoyed! I've never joined Goodreads but really should. I don't know why I keep not doing it. I'm goingto have to look up some of those books you've mentioned. What did you think of The Postmistress? I've heard some negative as well as positive things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've joined Goodbooks (I think there is a link on my sidebar). I like having that list so that I can keep track of what I want to read - see what others are reading,etc. Although I'm staring at 100 unread books upstairs that I should take care of first before I buy more. But it's like stash - you can never have enough!! I don't like Audio books - I want it in my hands, although that might change once I get my IPad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just started with goodreads. I am relatively new to blogging. I wonder if you can tell me how I can add the goodreads to my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried Goodreads, but it is simply too lightweight for my thousands of books. I have kept track of my reading on librarything.com/kd9 for the past four years and it is also on my sidebar on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Goodreads! I'm not a collector of books and use the library. Goodreads works perfectly for my needs. I read a lot. When I can't do much of anything else, I can read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use Goodreads and love it, but before I discovered it, I kept, and still keep a reading journal in Excel as a spreadsheet. It's simple and I use a tab per year. This way I can go back and see what I was reading 5 years ago. I also use it to track my reading goals (usually 26 books a year).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been a GoodReads person for a couple of years, and lately, like you, have been in a stitching slump. Reading is much more portable and I can lay in bed while reading a good book! I participate in the Seasonal Book Challenge and the 144 Books a year challenge. Would love to add you as a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a book blog in addition to my stitching blog. I have what I've read recently on there in addition to my Goodreads widget.

    www.fromthetbrpile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been getting most of my books from the library for close to a year now. Once in a while I'll buy a book if I can't wait to read it or it's from one of the authors that I collect.

    I've only read one of the books that you mentioned. I'm always on the lookout for recommendations so I'm noting the titles/authors and will look for them at the library after I finish Sizzling Sixteen, the newest Janet Evanovich book.

    BTW, after you read The Namesake, you may want to look for the movie version. I saw it a few months ago and really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dude has one, but I can't be bothered. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read The Help. It was amazing, one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Spellman Files books. They are so much fun to read. I have a Shelfari thingy on my blog where I keep track of my current book and audiobook and since 1996 I have kept a written log in a notebook of every book I read.

    My two recent favorites were Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. Hated the ending of that book, but it was a fantastic read most of the way through.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodreads sounds great - but I can't sign up because I don't have cookies enabled - did you run into this issue? If so, how did you resolve it?
    Thank you!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lee. I am an infrequent user of goodreads. I would be happy to have you as a friend there. I read about a book a week. All of my books come from the library...(I am a librarian after all...)

    I don't keep up my goodreads list as well as I should...

    ReplyDelete