Friday, July 30, 2010

Seriously

So I just now got this email from About.com Needlework that says this is Start a New Hobby Week.

Really?  Because if I'm going to participate in Start a New Hobby Week, then I'm going to need to change its name.  I'm going to call it Go Out and Buy a Bunch of Stuff and Let it Sit Around for a Couple Years Before Donating it to Goodwill.....Week.

After crafting for the past 30 of my 52 years, I think I know myself and I can freely tell you that I'm a one-trick pony.  I do needlework.  I'm a stitcher.  (I can also quilt but do it so infrequently that there's no way I can call myself a quilter.)

I've taken detours into knitting (with comical results), beading and jewelry making (all my stuff looked like summer camp projects), and rubber stamping (wonder what I did with those?).  I made a two year effort at flower arranging with the local garden club (and was told that I'm a plopper.  As in - plopping flowers in a vase then plopping them on the table).  I tried my hand at any number of things and the only work that always makes me happy is needlework.

So instead of starting a new hobby, I think I'll just give the money directly to Goodwill.  Cash never gets dusty.

20 comments:

  1. Ha - my word verification is Bills - and bills are definitely what I would have if I started a new hobby. I get into enough of them thank you, and I'm in total agreement - I'd buy the stuff and it would just sit there. How about a Finish Up all the Stuff You Started Week. Makes more sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I am with you on this one. I have tried a bunch of different crafts and always come back to stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed so hard because you could be discribing me. Stitching is the only thing I stuck with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'm covered with the new hobby, if a kitten counts. Lol! Or an iPad. I have too many new hobbies as it is so I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you think a book that covers too many crafts wouldn't be interesting to people?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so with you!!!! I am a one hobby woman and needlework is it for me :-).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup. I just got rid of a minor fortune in rubber stamps and accessories. Could never achieve what I thought was worth while, just never quite got the knack. So finally got rid of it all to a friend who will use and love it.

    I've invested enough in my needlework stash, and am still enjoying it. No desire to pick up another hobby thank you! I tend to go in head-first (as with the stamps). So will stick to needlework.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with you! I already don't have enough free time for my hobbies, so I'm not going to start another one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I think you're a wonderful stitcher of needlework and you don't need a new craft hobby because you do this one so well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not need another one either. I think if I did my DH would send me on my way...LOL! I love stitching...I can do it almost any where!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a plopper in more ways than one. I can't tell you how many scrapbooking supplies I have that are now so outdated, nobody would want them. Other crafts too - I think I need to do a clean and donate day as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL How much spare time and money do they think we have!?!?

    I'd be standing right there next to you with my cash in hand at good will.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rug hooking, yarn spinning, crocheting, knitting, rubber stamping, punch needle, polymer clay. I'm sure there are a few others! Anyone want to buy some abandoned hobbies stash?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm completely with you, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with you so much! And I feel incredibly ridiculous for starting to knit again, but I'm working at keeping a tight rein on my stash acquisition. I'm so full of it!

    I'm thinking that "plopper" could become a new term of endearment. In fact, being a plopper may be my new just-realized (thanks to you) favorite thing about me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved this post :) I've tried many crafts over the years. My problem is that I'm a gadget-holic. I start a new hobby and I just *have* to get everything (not all at once)!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know I'm late to this but Amen Sister. Even in needlework I stray into forms that make me slap my head and ask "Why are you starting another UFO?".
    Thanks I need a laugh.
    Shay

    ReplyDelete