Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Wait, Wait....You want to read about stitching?

Well gang, that's not happening right now. 

My Sit-Down-and-Stitch mood has Got-Up-and-Went. 

Don't ask me why.  It's a mystery. The best way I can explain it is to say that stitching right now feels like trying to dance but not quite getting the rhythm.  I give it a go, but then throw up my hands and decide to leave the dance floor. Ah well, I know that it's something we all experience from time to time and I know it's only temporary.  And I hope it's short-lived.

Meanwhile, I've read a boatload of books and watched some great TV.  Well - Netflix mostly.   I've been on a documentary kick lately.  There was a very cool PBS series about Napoleon and I enjoyed every minute of it.  He was a fascinating fellow and it surprises me that he's never been the topic of a movie, what with all of the movies about English kings and queens.  Maybe it's that Americans have always thought of Napoleon comically?  But this well-done documentary has shown me that nothing could be further from the truth. 

And while it was a great documentary, it's not like I have readers out there who are checking my blog posts, breathlessly waiting to be fascinated by my insights on Napoleon.  So I've been kind of quiet, rather than subjecting you to my nerdiness.

I'll be back when I can think of something cool to write.  Or show you.  Because you all know that I'm all about being cool....

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip on Napoleon. I love Netflix and that would be good to watch while stitching!

    Hope you get your mojo back soon....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psssst.....let me share a secret with you. We all have a bit of a nerd in us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to think that Napoleon wasn't ever the subject of a movie because he tends to be thought of as a bad guy, not a hero. One wouldn't make a movie about Hitler either. :D I guess Napoleon might not be as bad as Hitler, but he still wasn't looked upon kindly, right? I'm going to look for that series. Sounds interesting for sure!

    I've been feeling a lack of stitching mojo too. Maybe we'll both get it back soon. I hope? Although reading and watching good documentaries can be fun. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm finding this to be a party of my makeup - just can't seem to stitch in the summer. But I do want to read, and of course, be out in my garden. So enjoy whatever you are in the mood to do - no guilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is easy to stop stitching and start watching TV or reading. I am reading a lot right now myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm right there with you on the stitching front. I constantly look at my stash and feel that I need to do something and then I walk away!
    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids have a history teacher who LOVES Napoleon. Even his license plate is that. Strange, but they come home with all kinds of little facts about the guy. Maybe I should watch that series and surprise them with some fun facts of my own. (Probably that plan would backfire since I bet they've seen it!) Anyhow, I almost only stitch while watching tv so bad tv = little or no stitching. Since summer is outside time I don't get much done.
    PS.... the documentary on John Adams, available from Netflix, is pretty good too.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel the same way at the moment. I tried a little cross stitch a few nights ago and it did nothing for me. I think the secret is to have a change or stitch a small easy item. I've been doing a little canvas work and it's amazing how it gives you a lift. I'm so enjoying it and hope that when I return to my stitching soon that I'll slip back into the "groove.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that a lot of us are suffering from some kind of stitching hold up lately. It's not floating my boat either. Maybe too hot. Nothing better than books and movies. The PBS series sounds great - I love watching things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like documentaries too, and have been on a Roman history, Tudor history, War of the Roses kick lately. I actually read a very good Marie Antoinette biography too. You couldn't possibly bore me with your Napoleon information. When I finally get home from vacation I will even see if I can find it on Netflix. Don't worry about the stitching, you'll get your groove back sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is a great miniseries on Napolean (played by Armand Assante) and Joshephine (Jaqueline Basset) that was done. I wonder if you can still find it?

    ReplyDelete