Thursday, August 05, 2010

One more mention of book club

And not another rant, I promise.  I guess I really needed to blow off some steam on Tuesday! 

After talking to some like-minded friends,  we've decided that we're going to become a little more proactive at our meetings.

For instance, my fellow book friends and I noticed that we tend to sit near each other at meetings.  Now we're going to spread out and sit among and between the other ladies.  The idea is this:  Make all of the unrelated side discussions more difficult by physically separating people.  I plan to be up close and personal with a couple of them.  Maybe snap them with a rubber band if they veer off.  (Is that going a teensy bit too far?)

We're also going to be more proactive when we start putting books into the mix for next year and insist on more variety of genre and setting. (I counted to make sure that I wasn't making a mountain out of a mole hill...In the past 8 months, we've read 5 historical fiction novels, all set primarily in the 1930's and 1940's) When we meet at my house in October,  I'm going to give out a list with several types of books - mostly types of fiction, but adding the categories of biographies and memoirs and true accounts to our 2011 plans.  And I'm going to be as diplomatic as I can, yet strongly suggest that nobody chooses books from the same categories on the list for a whole year. 

The book list is probably the biggest leap of all.  Up until this point, the method for choosing books was that we all decided which month we want to host in the coming year, then the book choice was up to the hostess.  Depending on the hostess, sometimes very little thought was put into the book choice, and that's been part of the problem.  So anyway,  we'll see how my genre list goes over.  If it's rejected, then it's more than likely that our group will split up.  And that may not necessarily be a bad thing, but rather just how these things go. 

So now that we have a plan, I'm cool with the situation.  I just hope I can pull it off.

And my next post will have more to do with stitching, I promise!

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan.

    In our group (that I don't attend any more), in the early fall, we solicit nominations for readings for the next year and the moderator compiles a list with reviews or other information. Then we have an organizing meeting to decide what to read for the next year and assign months. We try to make sure that books will be available in paperback before putting them on the list. (So, some books get delayed until the spring.) This works pretty well.

    [Verification word: ranics, which I hear as rant-ics]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see that you are already on GoodReads, but if you would like to talk about books with likeminded people I would like to invite you to LibraryThing. The forums are a lot of fun and I have discovered some great books and writers on there (I'd never heard of Margaret Atwood or Neil Gaiman before LibraryThing). Just a tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, good luck with that lol. It doesn't sound like your ladies are too flexible. I loved The Graveyard Book, BTW. My YA daughter couldn't have been less interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! I hope it works out for you. Maybe your friends and you need to just form a smaller book club together?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you have come up with a good plan. Keep us posted and I hope you're successful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good plan, Lee! My real complaint (as a librarian) is the book group member who picks a book that is obscure and only owned by one library in the entire county. Why wouldn't they check ahead of time for availability?

    I'm sure you'll have your book club shaped up in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good plan and back-up plan, if necessary. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Luck! I hope you don't meet with much resistance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best of luck!

    I'm interested to see how it plays out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like a good strategy, Lee. I like your divide-and-conquer idea :-) Keep us posted on how things play out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good plan. In our book club we take suggestions from all the ladies, and one woman is in charge of putting together the list for the year. It works well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds good to me and I'm already very curious to learn how it works (if it works, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that is an excellent plan. I'd also like to recommend a category of books that has stuck with me since college - creative non-fiction. Think In Cold Blood or The Executioner's Song, but they're not all bloody. I particularly like Mary McCarthy and John McPhee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If that doesn't work, why don't you like minded ladies just form your own book club? So many wonderful books, so little time to read them all....and certainly not enough time to waste reading from the same genre/place/time. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete