Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Finished Summer Basket!

Summer Basket is finished! It was close, but I finished it before we left for the weekend and I took it to Salty Yarns , where Sally was generous with her compliments.  Salty Yarns was exactly as I had remembered it from last year.  Stuffed to the brim with charts and fabrics and threads and don't even get me started on all of the wonderful tools and doodads.  But anyway, here is my version of Blackbird Designs Summer Basket, purchased last Labor Day and stitched this summer:
 
I had to make some changes to accommodate the variations of dye lots in both the threads and fabric.  So I used the recommended fabric - 30 ct WDW Baby's breath, but I had to substitute Gentle Arts Old Brick for the GA Clover (pink letters and flowers) and I had to substitute GA Gold Leaf for the GA Brandy (gold stars and letters)  So my sampler isn't as soft and muted looking as the model photo on the leaflet, but it's because the dye lot of my piece of fabric wasn't as pale pink as the model fabric.  Stitches done in Clover and Brandy were all but invisible.  

I have to say, I did NOT like this WDW fabric.  I doubt that I'll ever use it again.  It had absolutely no body to it.  There are some nice colors, but it's like working with a wet noodle. 

Here are a couple other little changes that I made, too.  (Changes = Mistakes that I was too lazy to frog and restitch). The top line of my alphabet was about 5 stitches too far to the right and I didn't realize it till I was way into the stitching.  Luckily, I wasn't using it as any kind of jumping off place for placing other stitches (phew), but it meant that I couldn't fit the letter "G" in at the end of the line.  So since XYandZ were all tiny, I decided to use a tiny G.
But then I had to balance the left side of the alphabet line. Handily, in most BBD designs you can always have a couple extra birdies at your disposal!

So now I need to decide if I should frame it or make it into a pillow.  I'm actually leaning towards a pillow.  It would look great made as an envelope-type pillow in my wicker couch, and BBD has put out a new fabric line recently....Something tells me that a trip to the quilt shop is in my future!

24 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the finish, Lee! It is VERY pretty and I think the substitutions you made look great.

    I don't like the colour of the WDW Baby's Breath (I have it) but will use it for this when the time comes as it seems to work well with the design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on a fabulous finish! It looks great with your substitutions. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on the WDW linen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful finish!

    I was not happy with WDW linen either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the finish! I think it is beautiful and will make a great pillow!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful finish. I love your "adaptation" of the design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! I think it'll be great as a pillow and it looks to me like just the thing to go with wicker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not used WDW linen before and it's nice to see a review of it. I like the substitutions you made both with the colorways and with the pattern. It makes is a unique piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! I love your finish! I agree -- it would make a wonderful pillow!! It's funny, I really like WDW fabric. I think everyone is different in their preferences.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you made it "yours" with the colors and the redesign! Not that you asked, but I vote for the pillow, I can just see it, how lovely it will look sitting there where everyone can admire it.
    Nice job, Lee.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on a truly beautiful finish, Lee! I love your creative way of making your border even with the little "g." I've heard others complain about WDW fabric, too.

    Glad your trip to Salty Yarns was such fun. Did you get lots of goodies?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your finish! I don't like the weeks linen, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks beautiful Lee and the changes that you made work beautifully! Can't wait to see how you decide to finish it. I'm nearly to the end of mine, just a couple of star motifs, the date and initials to do. I have loved stitching this one. Interesting to hear your thoughts on WDW linen. I've only used it a couple of times for small projects but I found it very soft to stitch on and I'm not sure that I would want to use it for a larger project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful finish! I like the little G.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks wonderful! Can't wait to see what you end up doing with it. (I think a pillow would be lovely)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your basket is beautiful, Lee.
    The letters look great...and add your own special touch!
    Those dye lots can get us everytime. I've had a few of my own problems with not only fabric but threads. Improvising isn't fun and can be expensive.
    I have to visit Salty yarns someday. I've heard all great things about it :) Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely finish! And the changes you made make it truly your own and they look lovely!

    Can't wait to see what you decide for a finish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous!!! Congrats on the finish :-).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your finish is beautiful. I just love the gorgeous colours.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A lovely finish.
    WDW fabric seems to be hit or miss. I've used some I like, and others I don't. Wonder if they use different dyes depending on the colour...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous finish! Your changes look great.

    ReplyDelete