Sunday, September 12, 2010

My September Answer

Do I do anything weird when I'm stitching?  Hmmmm. 

I don't have an odd habit, like turning around three times before I sit down or tapping a stitching totem or anything like that.  I'm not devoted to a particular chair or table or gadget. 

So what do I do that I think is weird?  Well, I'll tell you that my focus is all over the place when I'm stitching something.  Because I tend to stitch samplers, there are usually lots of motifs and breaks and sections.  I almost never complete a section before moving on to the next one.  I skip, hop and jump all over the place.  Sometimes I can't decide if it's because I'm bored or if it's because I'm so excited to move on to the next part.  I'm going to go with the latter.

And that's my answer!

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree, Lee - I also primarily stitch samplers so there is lots of variety. Now I wonder do I chose samplers because I like the variety or does my crafty ADHD tell me that these are the kinds of projects I most likely to finish -its a quandry - but I think I'll ignore it and go and stitch - have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always pick a starting point for any design and work methodically from there. If it is a band sampler I start at the top and do one band at a time. If it has a border I always frame the border first to use it for guidance. Some designs like mandalas lend themselves to starting in the center so I work from the center out. If I start in a corner I work in 10X10 stitch blocks. So my odd habit would be that I am very methodical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're suppose to stitch in sections?!?! LOL. I soooooo don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the same thing even not stitching samplers. I like to switch colours frequently to keep from being bored... especially if there are a lot of white/cream/brown type colours. I always want to stitch the bright ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do the same thing, too! I think it's wanting to use different colors, for me. I had a friend who would stitch all of the one color on a design before moving onto the next piece. She did a lot of Lavender & Lace pieces, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I mostly stitch band samplers. They suit my short attention span, because I can finish a row and be done. I tend to stitch the bands in order, but I will leave a band unfinished (e.g., 3/4 of the way done) if I don't want to start a new thread and will wait until I'm working on another band with the same color and stitch them both at once.

    ReplyDelete