Sunday, September 26, 2010

Stitched last year at camp

This was my project from the 2009 Camp Gottastitch.  It was a wonderful and low key camp, and even though part of our camp fee included several kits of freebie designs with fabric and threads, most people were working on their own projects.  We had several finishes in our group, including my finish of Prairie Schooler's Book 132, Autumn Leaves. 

But then (and this will come as no great shock), I came home, put it in the cupboard and forgot about it.  And last week while I was hunting for some stitching to use for the flange pillow tutorial, I found it again.  (One nice thing about being so forgetful is that sometimes I give myself a pleasant surprise.)

I started to finish this as a bell pull, even adding the fabric to the back, but lately my bell pulls have seemed a little wonky to me, so at the last minute I changed my mind and decided to use a simple pinkeep method.  Very simple.  I figure that if I decide that it's too simple later, I can always add to it.  But right now I'm liking it just like this.



I bought this as a kit a handful of years ago from Theresa at Shakespeare's Peddler.  She had converted the threads to Crescent Colours, and I think you can still buy her conversion here (scroll down the page a bit)

And now this has me thinking about stitching camps.  Fall is THE time for so many camps.  The weather is still decent for traveling, and we're spending more time indoors.  Spring seems very popular, too,  but I guess I'm tuned into Fall camps.  I'm not going to an organized camp this year, but I am going to a stitching getaway, and I'm starting to think about what I'll be packing. 

More later!

18 comments:

  1. Don't forget the packing list!

    I like your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought her conversion also...and have I stitched it? Of course not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breautiful finish and finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!! Totally love this! I have to get this pattern now. And what a good way to finish it versus a framing finish, which is so much more expensive. I think I will try this finish in the future, maybe for Lizzie Kate's Christmas Rules!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! I have her conversion too of course. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant to ask you how you finished this exactly. Did you use mat board? If so, where did you find a piece long enough? And what stitching retreats are you going to? I think next year is going to be my year to go to some of these retreats. I've never been and they sound like such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the exact piece I am working on at the moment! I'm using DMC threads and was thinking how different yours looked till I read about the thread conversion!
    Anyway, it looks great and I love the way you have finished it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always loved this piece and yours is beautiful. The finish is perfect.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lee, it is GORGEOUS! You did a wonderful job with the finishing. I just LOVE this piece!

    Lucky you to be going on a stitching getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way your finished this. It's really beautiful. I never would have thought about a pinkeep, but it looks amazing! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous rediscovery! I love your simple finish. It really suites the project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your finished finish! I think it's my favorite of the seasonal PS designs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Autumn Leaves is one of my favorites I ever stitched. I put the pumpkin in the middle and stitched it over one, though. I almost wish now that I had stitched it over two, but I really do love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful design beautifully finished. I love this design!

    Have a great getaway!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE! Both the finish and the design. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lee, how gorgeous. Perfect!! I love how you finished it. I am guessing you put mat board and a little batting inside? It is wonderful!! I just love the colors in this one too. Nice work.
    So, what camp are you planning on attending?
    Would love to have you come to Heart's Desire camp in April, Blue Ribbon Designs will be there!!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome way to finish! It looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this and perfect for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete