Monday, November 08, 2010

Back from Erie and back to NaBloPoMo!

This will be Part One as I write about this past weekend's long awaited stitching girls' trip to Erie. Well, not quite Erie, but North East, which is a small and lovely town just east of Erie. Six of us got together at a bed and breakfast for an extended weekend of stitching and laughing and eating and wine tasting. Our innkeeper couldn't have been more gracious (which may have been a challenge since we more or less took over her inn!)  and I'd recommend Peg's Grape Arbor Bed and Breakfast to anyone planning a trip to the area Erie area or its surrounding wine country.

I've been to other B&B's before.  Not a bunch...only two others.  But this one was head and shoulders above those places.  Spotlessly clean.  Wonderful bedding. Beautifully decorated.  And the 4 course gourmet breakfast?  Unbelievable.  And the cost was very reasonable.  You'll pay the same (or more) at the local Holiday Inn Express, and there isn't a place for you and your friends to gather comfortably.  And can I tell you again about the breakfast??  You won't get that 4 course breakfast at a hotel.  More like cold hardboiled eggs and bad coffee.  Needless to say, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

OK, so although this was a very low-key and unstructured trip, we all thought it would be nice to do some kind of small stitched exchange gift to swap with each other.  We all stitched a "small" and then created a gift package with some "extras" that were unique to our locality. 

Today I'll show you what I stitched (tomorrow I'll show you what I received!).  I stitched a pinkeep and the design is "My Pink House" from BBD's Needle and Thread book.  I adapted it to suit our purposes by removing the alphabet and numbers, and recharting it by adding the year above the house, and "Erie" and the grapes below the house.  In the second picture you can see the backing fabric that I used - from the BBD line of Moda fabrics.  It was super fun to stitch, although I wish I had started it earlier.  (story of my life)

More tomorrow!

13 comments:

  1. Gosh, that's just a beautiful pinkeep you made, Lee! The B&B sounds wonderful! Wish I was there! Have (more) fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a lovely pinkeep....waiting for tomorrows post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so bummed....we moved away from Erie in 2008, and I still miss it! And just think, if we still lived there I could have met you, Lee!

    Sounds like a lovely trip. DH and I stayed at a B&B for our honeymoon, and now we absolutely love them (although it probably be a while before we can do that again, with a baby now). Grape Arbor sounds beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds lovely. Are you going again next year? North East is maybe an hour from my parents'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that area of PA. I went to college in Erie at Gannon U.

    The piece you stitched is wonderful - I absolutely love how you personalized it for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a great time! Beautiful pinkeep...love the personalization.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a good time! And she feed you well too! Your pinkeep is adorable! Can't wait to hear more!

    Smiles - Denise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty! I love the backing fabric you used.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really made your exchange piece very special, Lee!

    Are you ready to head back to The Grape Arbor yet? I'm already looking forward to next year! I don't know about you, but I sure am missing that big bowl of chocolates sitting there tempting us while as stitched...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, sounds like you had such a fabulous time! I love the pinkeep, can't wait to see what you got.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow that is one gorgeous pinkeep!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your Blog with others. You really share valuable Beautiful pinkeep,

    ReplyDelete