Sunday, November 21, 2010

Evidently I'm not the only one

So, you're all 'fessing up now about your hot pad issues, huh?  I was very happy to know that I'm not the only one running around like a maniac saying, "Don't put that hot dish on the table! Get a hot pad!  Oh...you want to know where they are?  Well...um....I don't know."

I found some inexpensive pads at Big Lots.  Not terribly attractive, but they'll do the trick and I was tired of shopping.  My shopping attention span (for things other than needlework) is about...Oh wait.  It's over already.

I get to bring my darling daughter home from school for the holiday break tomorrow, and that means that the boyfriend will be here for at least a few days, too.  It weirds me out a little, but there are so many things about having nearly-adult children that weird me out anyway.  In other words, Dave and I are adapting.  Accepting the weird as the new normal.  And it could be worse.  We like him well enough.  It would suck if we disliked him.

Then my son will be home for the holiday on Tuesday and that means some belly laughs and great conversation.  It also means that my fridge will be emptied.  And the couch won't see the light of day.

So the Thanksgiving countdown continues.  Most of the shopping is finished, except for buying some of the things that need to be last minute or else they won't be fresh.  Salad greens, mushrooms, etc. The china is ready and the crystal is dusted.  And in a few minutes I'll start cooking.  What I've learned over the years is that the Thanksgiving meal is the tip of the iceberg.  I still have five other dinners to prepare.  And lunches?  Dude.  Go to Subway.  It's only two miles away. 

So right now I'm starting meatballs and a chicken casserole.  But first, let me show you what I was stitching last night.  I'm very nearly done.

12 comments:

  1. Very cute kitty! I know what you mean about nearly adult kids weirding you out. Just wait until they come home once they are married...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, this pattern is growing on me. Each time someone stitches it, I like it more....nice job. Oh, and about the kids...been there and you do adapt...somehow....

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, this blog reading thing has lead to more work.... I didn't know pot holders weren't acceptable as hot pads! Man, good thing I have some UFO quilt squares I can whip into hot pads! Tee Hee.... hate me yet? Watch my blog and see if I carry thru on that.

    So, your son stays on the couch all the time? Is that, like, in a public room of the house? Wow. I'm almost envious.

    So, as for parenting semi-adult children... I've been having a serious conversation with myself about that very thing today. My son went to an all night cast party last night. Who hosts an all night party for high school kids? Who lets their kids go to one? Just roll your eyes and move on.

    I have more, but won't hog all your space.

    Happy Thanksgiving. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a great visit with DS. Your progress pic looks great. That's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have a great visit with the boyfriend! It's hard when our kids grow up and move towards major life decisions. My youngest have a girlfriend and I like her. I've liked all the girlfriends of my two boys but haven't necessarily felt they were a good fit. I've typically kept that to myself (not typical for me) and just waited it out.

    Five other dinners? I hope you're getting help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your stitched Christmas kitty!

    Have a Happy Thanksgiving, and hope the visit goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great progress on your stitching! Britterup Designs are so cute; I really must stitch one someday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that little black kitty, Lee!

    Get those kids out in the kitchen to help you!! I made my guys wash windows today in exchange for their weekly Sunday dinner--aren't I mean?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute kitty! Enjoy having your kids home and have a lovely Thanksgiving. Mine will be home for Christmas and I'm looking forward to having the house full again, even if it's only for a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude... go to Subway! LOL. Very cute kitty, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. DH and I were talking this weekend about strategizing for the meals after Thanksgiving.

    Glad you found the hot pads you needed. We always seem to have a gazillion in my house, which drive me nuts 360 days of the year.

    Cute kitty! I like this one so much better than the one in the actual ornie issue. I may need to go find the preview issue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you enjoy this time with your family. And I love the Christmas Kitty!

    ReplyDelete