Monday, November 01, 2010

November SBQ: Thankful

Many of us in the US will be celebrating Thanksgiving later this month. Even if you’re not celebrating Thanksgiving in particular, it feels like at this time of year – holiday time, end of the year, etc. – many of us start taking stock of our lives and counting our blessings.   With that in mind, here’s this month’s Stitching Bloggers’ Question:

Tell us about a time that you were especially thankful for your ability to do needlework.  Try not to answer in generalities, but rather try to answer with a specific time, event, or happening that made you very thankful that you could stitch.  For instance, maybe your needlework got you through a difficult time.  Maybe your needlework made a happy time even happier.  Or perhaps your talent and skill created a wonderful situation.  You get the idea.

7 comments:

  1. The month was March , the year 1999. My dearest uncle Billy ws ill and hospitalized. Every night after work and my family ws settled, I would go to sit by his bed. I began to take an embroidery with me...something quiet to do as he dozed off at times. We talked ablot my piece and every night he would ask, "how is the angel coming?" and I would tell him , "not finished". I would sit with a small light as not to bother him. Finally, after a week had passed he asked and I answered, "look see is finished". The very next day he died. I have such wonderful memories from my childhood of my uncle Billy and I sewed a small patch on the back of the wall hanging that states in mmeory of him. It is in my "sewing" page on my blog...the Angel of February. I look at it daily a it hangs in my sewing room and think him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bunch of replies on the Live Journal cross stitch community. If you'd like to read them: http://community.livejournal.com/cross_stitch/3284997.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can say in all honesty that stitching keeps me on an even keel - I find that no matter how much stress is in my life it's the needlework/stitching that keeps me on track.
    There is something therapeutic about it - even when things are awful (and I mean awful) I turn to stitching - sometimes it's something simple like choosing a new chart or starting a new project.
    I can always remember what I was stitching at particular milestones. Hope this isn't too general.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had two knee surgeries and my gall bladder removed. Recovery time can be long and boring. The stitching gave me something to do and I felt accomplished at the end of the day. On a daily basis - I am always amazed how time flies. Hours pass without thought although this can be a bad thing.
    Smiles - Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. It helped me when my Husband was going through a very hard time in his life.. I posted about it in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My stitching got me through a very unsettling transition in my life; I posted about it on my blog, stitchingchair.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is my answer: http://cross-stitcher-anonymous.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete