Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Stitching a little, shopping a little

Here's my Tuesday SAL progress on LLL.  At first I was second guessing my green choice, but as the thread played out, I decided that I liked it again.  It's just a little more subdued in color than I originally though it would be.

I'm using Belle Soie silks colors Old Crow, Poison Apple and Herb Garden.  The fabric is PTP Heritage.

I worked on Rise and Shine a bit before we headed out to Youngstown on Saturday. And I even ironed it for you to get rid of the embarrassing wrinkles.

And then I worked on a small gift in the car over the weekend, but it's not photo ready yet.

So - the Youngstown Ohio Hobby Lobby? Kind of a bust.  Has HL changed, or did I just not notice that they are much more heavily into home decor than other craft stores?  I came away spending only a few dollars.  Seriously - under $10.00.

My goal was to find a Mighty Bright floor lamp, but their craft lamp section amounted to one Ott floor light (that I already have) and a couple of the old style Ott folding lamps. 

OK, so I left with a Christmas apron and a couple of small easels, but no worries, because there was a big Joann's around the corner and (miracle of miracles) I actually had unexpired Joann's coupons in my bag! 

Well now, Joann's had the lamp, but it was marked the ridiculous price of $124.99.  Any stitching shopper who knows her lamps knows that this lamp retails for $99.99.  Now, with my 40% off coupon at Joann's, that would have come to $74.99, but that inflated price really burned my butt.  And in fact, Amazon is selling it for $66.99 with free shipping.  So I walked out without it.

So the quest continues.

In happier news, we had a fabulous meal at the Youngstown Carraba's Restaurant.  Why the Carraba's people chose to skip over the Pittsburgh restaurant marked is beyond me.   They've put restaurants in Philly, Lancaster and then whoops!  No restaurants until clear over in Youngstown. 

And then the next day we drove to Vermilion to pick up some crazy-huge stereo speakers, but somehow our timing was off and we arrived in Vermilion an hour early.  So to kill some time, Dave wanted to take a ride into the downtown area and see Lake Erie.

So there we went, la, la, la, riding down wee little Main Street on a Sunday at lunchtime and I was thinking that this is the kind of town where nothing is open on a Sunday.  So we were seeing the water ahead of us, when suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I spied something and yelled, STOP THE CAR! 

It was a sweet little needlework shop!  And it was OPEN.  On a SUNDAY! So I visited  Clare's Stitching Post.  You know how sometimes you see a sign or a Yellow Pages ad and it has a name like that and then you discover that it's really a knitting and yarn store. Or (worse yet) a place that does custom machine embroidery?  And you go away all bummed out.  I was completely prepared to be sad, but Clare's is all about cross stitch.  It's a new shop, and it's quite small, but she has lovely things.  And new things, which was really nice.  Some little shops just have the same-old-same-old.  It's like they won't spend the money on new merchandise until the old stuff is sold and I totally don't get that.

But anyway, what a neat little town!  Besides shopping at Clare's (where I bought LK's 2010 snowman, along with threads and fabric), I did some damage in a candle shop and a chocolate shop, and I had an excellent cup of coffee at a sandwich shop. 

It was a great day...

15 comments:

  1. Isn't is nice when the unexpected happens but it turns out really nice...My DS and DIL live in NW PA, I will have to ask if she has been to that area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear Claire's went into business. There used to be Riverbend Stitching just outside of town. They went OOB last summer. They moved away from the tourist area. Vermillion is a neat town! What did you have good at Carrabba's? If you happened to have the fennel sausage lentil soup - I have the recipe!
    Glad to hear you had a great time and dave got his speakers!

    Smiles - Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful day! Great progress on your wips. So curious about your LaDDa. I just love her designs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those kinds of rides through smaller towns. It is always fun tofind a new place to shop. :)

    Love the colors in LLL. And in the LA D DA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice progress on your WIPs! You day sounds really fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a treat to find a cross stitch store out of the blue like that. Both WIPs are beautiful.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great day Lee! I love days like that...the little surprises along the way make the day such a happy one.

    It's always fun to spend it with your DH, too. We're lucky to have guys that understand our "addiction."

    Your SAL looks great. The colors and fabric are beautiful together.
    Rise and Shine is a favorite of mine, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to hear that Hobby Lobby was a bust, Lee-I really was planning to check it out when we next visit my in-laws, but now I'm not so sure.

    Your SAL is looking great--will you just be stitching on Tuesdays for that one?

    Glad you discovered another cross stitch shop--amazing that it was open on Sundays. Sounds like a worthwhile trip for both you and Dave :) Just how big are these speakers anyway?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your wips are lovely and I love the PTP linen. Gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your WIPs are looking lovely.

    I find so many craft stores have moved to home decor its so sad!

    If I don't stop by again, have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that green.....it's a nice, warm-ish green.

    I beat you at the HL checkout. It was a whopping $6. Floss bobbins and twine. They didn't have the teeny-tiny buttons I wanted. I was floored by the number of Scrapbooking aisles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice progress Lee. I actually stitched too but am out of town and can't post my progress until Friday. I changed my colors too since this destined for my bedroom wall. Can't wait until next week....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great wip's. I love the colors in the one by La Da Da. Look forward to seeing more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LLL is going to be gorgeous! I love the fabric, and the colour choices are very striking... the green really does look nice.

    Score for you on finding an actual cross stitch shop, more often than not I am disappointed. Sounds like you had a really fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great progress on your stitching projects! And lucky you finding a new stitching store!

    ReplyDelete