Wednesday, February 02, 2011

My February Answer

Here's is my answer to my own question! Sorry for the really bad photos.  We're having another dreary day with no sunlight and I'm trying to avoid using a flash because of the glass.

Anyway -

This will always be one of my favorite "love" samplers. I had been stitching lots of the Told in a Garden little Amish designs, and then spotted this one - Family Treasures II - and fell in love with it immediately.


While I was stitching it, I remember thinking that the "eyes were strong" line was a little silly.  I was 29 years old and I could practically stitch in the dark. Little did I know that in 20 years I would need gazillion watt lighting and magnification!

I'm a little concerned about the framing.  I don't remember - did give you a link to this page before?  Julie M, a stitcher and custom framer, wrote a post about taking apart an older cross stitch picture and what she found underneath was not pretty.  Now, look closely at the mat bevels in the photo above. 

Orange.  Probably acid mats.  I think I care enough about the life of this one to have it redone.  It's should be an easy decision, so why am I dilly-dallying? 

15 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous and arghhhh at teh orange! Yes get it reframed and soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful piece, but I agree with Hazel - take it apart and get it reframed sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous piece with such special memories, Lee! I still love those little Amish designs from TIAG. I guess it is the simplicity of their lifestyle that appeals to me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the "my eyes were strong' line too. I bet I would have pooh poohed it early in my stitching career. I have to wear my cheaters not so much for the fabric as for reading the charts. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous piece! And yes, you should have it reframed or at least re-matted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! love the eyes are strong line!!! definitely have it re-framed!
    you'll be so glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful piece! I'm already challenged in the eyesight department. I need to hold things close to see. Definitely get this piece re-framed. Acid mats. Ack!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This piece is lovely Lee and I love the framing. I can only recall having one piece matted and that was given away. Maybe someday I'll be able to check it out if they still have it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness - I also stitched this sampler back in the mid-80s. It hangs in my bedroom and I still love it as much as when I first laid eyes on it. Who knew that 25 years later that line about my eyes were true would be so prophetic? Happy stitching-

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup. A wiser person than I wrote that verse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love nearly all TiaG designs. And the Amish ones are all fantastic. I plan on stitching one of them this year.
    Your love Sampler is really beautiful and it's definitely worth being re-framed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful work...I love the quote.
    Peggy H.
    www.neverenoughstash.com

    ReplyDelete