Thursday, March 31, 2011

Eggs!

Here are some of the eggs I've made in my pysanky class. They aren't finish-finished. I still have the yucky task of blowing out the egg contents.  That's probably going to be one of the more harrowing tasks, too, because that's when your egg can crack.  Or even explode.  Pleasant, huh?  (No matter how hard I try, I don't think I could make any needlework explode when I finish-finished it.)  Then they'll get sprayed with clear coat.  I still need to improve my techniques, like drawing straight lines.  And segmenting the egg properly.  And I'd like to get a lot better at understanding the dying process.  Hmm.  I should have said that I still have improve at everything.  So don't laugh at my eggs, ok?  I've admitted my weaknesses!

This class focuses on using symbols and the designs we're using are quite traditional.  It reminds me of the symbols we see in samplers.  So these traditional designs are a starting point but really, anything goes.  For instance, the green egg was for St. Patrick's Day.  Just some little shamrocks, but it was a good exercise in dividing the spaces on the egg.



OK, so here they are a little closer.  See the black egg?  That was very cool.  It's just a medium sized brown egg.  We drew the designs on with our hot wax and then dipped the whole thing in black.  I love the negative effect.  Next to it is an egg that I had wanted to be dark red, but I left it in the dark red too long and it became dark maroon - even brown.  But it was fun to do.
I love my red fish egg.  I had missed a class, so the instructor had started it for me (notice her lovely and thin line work?  She works very smooth and fast)  I did the parts in yellow.  It's such a happy little egg.
The purple egg was probably the most difficult egg to do.  Lots of detail and lots of trips to the dye containers.  But I wanted to show you the top of it.  Just like stitchers, most of the egg decorators sign and date their eggs. 
I have two more classes to attend and I must say that I'll be really sorry when they are over.  I may have to buy my own dyes....it's that addicting!

29 comments:

  1. My goodness! Your eggs are so pretty! That is beginner work? Wow. I love the vibrancy of them. Lol on the exploding projects, but seriously, good luck with not wrecking any of your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are wonderful. My grandmother was an avid egg artist. Different then Pysanky, but what can be done with eggs is amazing. Her eggs started blown, though, so less risk.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're beautiful!! I know I couldn't do anything like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so beautiful Lee!! Love the colours and designs. I also love your Dandy Dreams .I haven't blogged for so long . Hope to take some pics soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful eggs! I love the detailed designs and the vivid colors of the eggs. I wish you luck with blowing out the yuck! Let us know how it goes!
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them all, but I am smitten with the black one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are beautiful eggs! Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep. The red reindeer egg is definitely my favorite. I love all the interlacing lines and the warm colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are beautiful! Good luck with the blowing part. The risk reminds me of Hardanger. All the hard work and it can be screwed up with the wrong cut. In this case you could literally have egg on your face. Uck!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so impressed, Lee!! They really are wonderful and I can't even imagine my lines turning out half as straight as yours. Good luck with getting the insides out :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow those are awesome, seems like fun :) Good luck on getting the egg out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that you've done a wonderful job on these eggs. They are so pretty! I can't imagine having to blow the egg out of them though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've done an amazing job! I absolutely cannot believe that's the work of a beginner. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your eggs are beautiful! I love the dark maroon/brown one, I think it's my favorite. Congrats and enjoy the rest of the classes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I sure don't see anything to laugh at here. Your eggs are beautiful! Such delicate work, you should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  16. All of the eggs you've done are fantastic! I remember doing them as a kid and it was so much fun. I've seen the eggs done two ways: one way blows out the egg yolk/white before working with them and the other way leaves the yolk/white in the egg.

    Wow, it really makes me want to try doing this again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your eggs, nice job. You have peaked my interest, may have to give it a try. Good luck with the rest of it. I love that maroon one, it is my favorite.
    You are just an amazing woman, Lee. I like that you try new things.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  18. They all look amazing, you did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They're gorgeous! I can't decide if I like the green or maroon one more.

    Good luck getting the innards out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Lee, these are beautiful !!! This is a beginner class???? It looks pretty advanced to me !! You did a great job on them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The eggs look awesome! Great job!
    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  22. All of these look great! Very impressive work!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are gorgeous Lee! They look absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These eggs are gorgeous! They look like they would be very difficult to make. Good luck with blowing them out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW!!! They look fantastic Lee well done.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow!!!! It is so cute! I'm reading you wonderful blog and suddenly finding my native egg-things!!! :))) Perfect work!!! And really the symbols looks like medieval samplers in stitching. I never thought about it before!

    ReplyDelete