Monday, March 07, 2011

My March Answer

I actually have a favorite Celtic or Irish piece of needlework. Even though there's not a drop of Irish blood on my side of the family, my parents took two trips to Ireland in the early 80's, and instantly fell in love with everything they saw. So whenever a stitched gift was in order, my choices were made easily.

So here's a photo of my favorite Irish piece. Since my stitching is hanging in my mother's house, I had to use this photo from Eileen Bennett's website.  It's one of her Very Victorian series, called Shamrock Sampler.  Specialty stitches, some delicate over one bands, a bit of pulled work...Clearly my eyes were much stronger 25 years ago because I enjoyed every minute of this sampler.  Not that I wouldn't now - it would just require a much more lighting and magnification and some (self-inflicted) stress.

As a matter of fact, I have many, many Sampler House designs and I think that one of them fits perfectly into my Older and Better Birthday Month project.  I'll talk more about that in another post, though.

I want to answer the second part of the March Question, too.  Although I don't have a family tree type sampler, I did stitch a family record years ago and it still hangs in my living room.  I think I've shown it before.  Its title is Guarnieri Sampler 111, published by Imaginating in 1983.


Not a very good photo, I know.  But it has our wedding date and the kids' birthdays.  I actually stitched and framed it before my daughter was born, then had the framer take it all apart so I could add her initials and birthday later.  Don't ask me why I had it framed that early.  It was silly to do it that way, but framing was so much less expensive back then and besides, you know I'm not very good at the whole delayed gratification thing.

We had several inches of snow yesterday, but now the sun is shining brightly and I can smell Spring in the air.  Come on and get here already, Spring!

12 comments:

  1. Both of those are awesome, Lee but I especially love the 2nd one - so bright and pretty and all about your own family. Wonderful!

    I am wishing for Spring to arrive as well - can't get here soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family record sampler is gorgeous...I just love all the colour in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful samplers! I really like the Shamrock Sampler...so delicate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did that Shamrock Sampler as a 50th wedding anniversary gift for my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're learning about some medieval stuff in art history right now. This stitching mirrors the Hiberno-Saxon's work really well.

    So congrats! You just caught up with the seventh century!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like both samplers. They are classic and they won't be outdated like a lot of designs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are lovely pieces! I did one for Sean, but I love the family tree kind too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have done one family tree sampler that my DH designed. It's a very basic one, really just names and dates. Alot has changed in our family since I did it (back in the 1990's) so he does say from time to time he'd love me to do another updated one!! Honestly? I'm not rushing to do it as it was somewhat boring although I know it would be nice to have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both are lovely, Lee. The closest that I have to a family sampler is my Anniversaries of the Heart WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just posted about the SBQ for March.
    I also stitched the Shamrock sampler in 2006 and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete