Thursday, March 10, 2011

My Older but Better Choice

This is the design I've chosen for my Birthday month project.  I started stitching in 1984, but except for a few Just Cross Stitch issues, I don't have any designs from back then.  Still, this design goes back a long way - to 1988 - and I know that I was buying practically everything Eileen Bennett was publishing back then, so I'm going to say it's a safe bet that I bought this hot off the press.

It's a nice, nice piece.

I love the grape border. (Reminds me of my Grape Arbor Girls)

It has seven different specialty stitches, but I like them all.  There aren't any that give me fits (I'm lookin' at you Queen Stitch).

The colors aren't too 1980's.  Just a little DMC 223 and 224.

And Ms. Bennett was sure ahead of her time with her suggestion for tea-dying (and the directions) on the back.  Back in 1988, I would have blanched at the thought of that, but now, 23 years later, I'm running for the tea bag.  Maybe an old coffee filter, too. 

I'm looking forward to starting this during the month of March!  Oh - by the way - If you've mentioned that you'd like to try a Birthday month project this year, I've added you to my sidebar along with a link to your blog or your profile.  Some of you hadn't made your project decisions yet, so I just wrote "Project".  But if you want to tell me when you decide, I'll update the list.

15 comments:

  1. I have this chart and the Sudberry cabinet as well. I am a huge Eileen Bennett fan and have been fortunate enough to take several classes from her. That was in the days of the Spirit of Cross Stitch Festival. How my stash grew at each one that I attended! I think I started but never finished this one. Thanks for the reminder. I'm looking forward to seeing your porgress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am too an oldie moldie stitcher and cqn so relate to this piece!! I love it and always have....You will be pleased...Some of these are just timeless....Go for it! Faye

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice choice! I am looking forward to seeing this project grow. I agree with Faye, that this design doesn't look old at all... just timeless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, the Debbie Mumm project will be my Older and Better project.

    Thanks for coming up with such a good idea.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choice, Lee! I'm really enjoying the specialty stitches in the Drawn Thread Sunflower Bellpull that I'm working on now and I'm sure you'll love them in this piece.

    And yes, the grapes are a perfect touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like that one...even for its age! Still trying to figure out what to stich....unfortunately I have way too much "old" stuff to choose from...

    happy stitching....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow ~ a 1980's design that has specialty stitches AND tea-dying? Impressive! This is a lovely sampler, Lee, and I'm looking forward to seeing the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely design. I don't think it's dated at all. Have fun with the specialty stitches. I'm sure you'll let us know which ones are your favourites (and which not!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Eileen's samplers and her. She is a wonderful person and I always enjoy my time with her.

    I answered your March question. YOu can view the answer here:
    http://needleworkerssamplings.blogspot.com/

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your sampler hasn't aged badly at all. Of course, neither have you! (Wait, does that sound too backhanded? Because I don't mean that at all!)

    My mom tea dyed my first communion dress--of course, not for me those poofy party dresses. Mine was hippy-ish, long with a lace insert at the chest. We can't agree what the fabric was. Of course, that was before 1980 also. I don't think that I've ever been afraid of tea-dying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lee,

    The chart seems lovely an delicated...
    Congratulations for you beautiful blog!
    Hugs from Spain-

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great choice! I love Eileen's samplers and have her charts in my stash but have yet to stitch one. I'll enjoy watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can't go wrong with something from Eileen. What a great piece and I'm sure you'll love stitching it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was lucky to take a class with Eileen back in the early 1990's in Sacramento. She is a wonderful teacher. As for this piece I can tell you it stitches up beautifully, since I have it hanging in my family room. Happy stitching -

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lee, I sent you an email about my choice or the Older but Better Project...Merrily Beams, Done by Me. It's a chart from 1982, the year I started stitching!

    ReplyDelete