Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Such fun!

Ahhh.  Spring break.  It's the fun of having kids home for break without the hassle of a holiday.  It's really very nice. Winter break can be a killer, what with them all coming home and me being in the throes of all the Christmas prep.  It makes me really appreciate Spring break.

Colleen was home for a few days, so we squeezed in some time to bake some meringue cookies.  I hadn't done meringues in years, but it's really just like riding a bike.  We used a recipe from this site, and it was practically fool proof.  Colleen wrote about them a bit on her blog, but I'll steal one or two of her photos anyway.



Dave has been away on his yearly golf trip, and I had plans to do all kind of housework, but  - - - well, we all know how that goes.  I'd rather stitch late into the night.

So on to the stitching.  This is such a fun sampler!  I'm almost finished - only the grass below and another leaf or two remain.  But it's easy stitching and that type of stitching is nice to have when I'm stitching with friends so I'm going to put it away till then.  I have another Silver Creek chart in my stash and it's just as charming. 
Dandy Dreams

I absolutely can't thank Barb enough for letting me borrow this Mary Garry chart. I'm enjoying every stitch and it also seemed to cure my inability to count. I haven't made any counting mistakes so far, and I had been plagued by counting errors the last time I stitched something Quakerish. Of course, that doesn't mean that I didn't make any mistakes at all. In 200 years, museum curators will assume that I didn't know my alphabet, but will I care? No.

 
Peace Sampler
In other news, I ran across an article in the newspaper about a local church offering pysanky egg decorating classes.  It's something I've always wanted to learn about, so I packed my eggs and paper towels and off I went.

Now before you get all excited, this is just a photo I grabbed from this siteThese are not my eggs.  (My first egg looks like it was done by a toddler.  With his toes.)  But I wanted to show you these because any sampler lover out there will look at these eggs and understand why I love them.  The way the designs march around the egg.  The symmetry.  The symbols.  The vivid colors.  So I'm going to stick with it.  On Tuesday nights there are a bunch of crazy ladies running around a church basement, dipping eggs in dye and getting color all over the place and it's wonderful.  Oh, and burning candles.  It makes it somewhat more exciting and thrilling having all of those open flames going. 

I hope to have some of my own to show you as we get closer to Easter.  Preferably done by middle aged hands and not toddler toes.

9 comments:

  1. Your stitching looks wonderful, no toddler toes there. The eggs are beautiful, I imagine it takes some practice to get them looking like they do in the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful projects! I love both stitching pieces you have going!

    I almost fell over when I saw the eggs and though you had done them. They are wonderful - I see why you love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure the eggs take a lot of practice! I have no artistic ability at all - can't even draw a straight line - so I'm sure mine would look toddlerish after 5 years of practice. I'd love you to continue to share your progress as I find the eggs really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your WIPs are really coming along wonderfully, Lee! I can see why you like them both so much.

    And wow! Those eggs--I can't imagine having steady enough hands to draw the designs. In fact, I know I couldn't do it--I can barely draw a straight line on a piece of paper!
    Good luck--look forward to seeing yours...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom used to make meringue cookies (sigh). I can taste them from here.

    You're so brave to attempt those gorgeous eggs. Can't wait to see your finished products!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love both your WIP's. Aren't those eggs gorgeous! Such vibrant colours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm taking a class also the first of April. I have several of these in my egg collection but have never tried to make one...should be interesting. Thanks for the heads up on the "toddler toe" phase...I won't expect much from my 1st endeavors. Look forward to seeing your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your egg class. We had a neighbor when I was growing up who used to make them and she always brought a few over for us at Easter. I haven't seen them in years but they are truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely progress on both your WIPs:)

    ReplyDelete