Monday, April 04, 2011

April Stitching Bloggers Question

OK, maybe some of you are really on the ball this year and your tax returns are done and neatly filed away.  Or maybe, like me, you're just starting to sort through your documents and trying to get organized.  I think I'm realizing that my household record keeping could use a bit of an overhaul.

 On the other hand, my record keeping for stitching finishes is pretty well organized.  How about you?  And that is the crux of the May SBQ. 

Do you keep records of your finishes?  We are so lucky to have so many record-keeping tools at our disposal to record our accomplishments.  So if you do, what recording methods do you use?  What do you think is important to record when you've finished a design? 


***********************************************************************

Well readers, this month means that a year has passed since I started republishing the Stitching Bloggers Question.  I think that it's time to pass this torch along though, so I wonder if any of you might like to try your hand at this for a year?  Many of you ask questions all the time in your blog posts, so you know that coming up with questions isn't difficult at all.  I've had friends contribute ideas, too and no doubt you'll have friends who can give you great input, also.  And I think that the whole idea of the SBQ will stay more "fresh" if we take turns hosting it. 

So what do you think?  Drop me an email (available in my profile) if you'd like to host the SBQ for a bit.  If more than one person is interested, I'll just pull a name from a hat.

15 comments:

  1. I do keep a record of my stitching and quilting. I have a journal book that I picked up and each page is dedicated to a sampler. The name, the designer and the fabric and threads I used. I mark when I started it and finished it, and if I put it down and then picked it back up. I also put the date finished and the date framed and information about the frame. All this information has come in handy if someone has seen something on my blog and wants to know that the fabric or threads used if I didn't include them on my blog. It also helps me keep track of what I finished in a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a journal in which I record, using separate pages for each year, books I've read and needlework I've finished. I started it in 1996. It gives me great satisfaction to write down a completed project, although, alas, there are not enough of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own a xs store so I do have the records where I've taken things out of inventory to be stitched. And sad to say, that's as far as it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm, I take pictures and put them in a album. No dates,fabric,or floss info - nothing - just a plain ole picture. Guess I better step up - huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep an Excel spreadsheet and record the name of the pattern, the designer, the fabric and fibers I'm using, date started, date finished and details of the finishing. I just got bored one day and created it. I like seeing what I've done over the course of a year but I also find myself beating myself up over the lack of progress on my eleventy-dozen Wips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I take pictures of them, store those on my computer, frame the finished project and put it on the wall.But then, I'm not all that organized, that's why I hang them on the wall, harder to lose that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep a small notebook in my needlework bag and record the project start date, cost of the pattern, cost and size of linen and fibers. I also record any important dates/events that occur while working on the project. The final entry is date and cost of framing. kelley

    ReplyDelete
  8. My blog is my only record of my stitching and that is honestly the only reason I started it back in early 2009. Who knew it would turn into a place where I've met so many wonderful friends--like you Miss Lee!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Posted to the LJ cross stitching community: http://community.livejournal.com/cross_stitch/3413480.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I blog what I've completed-I don't usually put who the designer was, fabric, threads. Most of them are kits so if someone asks a question I can usually refer them to the right kit.
    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep track of NOTHING! Aside from putting the finish year and my initials on each piece, I don't have any record of the project. It never occurred to me to do so. I was always a one at a time stitcher so the finish date was pretty accurate. Once I tried writing a start date on the pattern but that's been long forgotten. I don't keep a whole lot of my patterns, either. I guess the accountant in me didn't feel the need to keep track of my stitching. I have images of my kids trying to figure out what to do with all this stuff once I'm gone.... and any list I kept would be long lost.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have TRIED to keep a record of the finish dates. I've used a queue card system in a little box where I actually wrote out all of my designs and arranged them alphabetically, but I never kept that up to date. I think the best record I have now of when things get finished is my secondary blog called Some Finishes, but again this is incomplete and only goes back as far as when I started the blog. All that is recorded on this blog is a picture, the designer name, linen type, and threads used. It's a nice little quick reference and I have it linked to my main blog. I have never kept track of when I started any pattern. But I'm sure I can go back on my blog and see when I posted it roughly and I guess that it would be recorded there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I responded on my blog, stitchingchair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete