Saturday, April 23, 2011

Hearts Desire Retreat

I had really, really wanted to show you my totally finished class projects in this post, but the week completely got away from me and both projects are still sitting in my basket.  So on the one hand, I could have waited and written this up later, but on the other hand, it would have been much later. 

OK, as I mentioned before, Belinda Karls-Nace of Blue Ribbon Designs was the guest designer and instructor for this wonderful retreat.  She brought loads of models of her designs to share with us, which in turn enticed us to share our cash (and credit cards) with Hearts Desire!  But I was happy to turn over my hard-earned money (my auto body shop pay), because the designs I chose suited me exactly.  It was absolutely money well spent.  Here are some pictures of the trunk show Belinda set up for us. 






Belinda had designed a sampler to commemorate our retreat.  How special is that?  And the class projects used a couple of these motifs to create stitching smalls.  Once I get back from my trip, I hope to be able to show you a sweet scissor fob and pincushion.  Really neat stuff.  (I should have taken pictures of the other stitchers' finishes.  Where was my brain?)  And I'll show you a photo of the three-ring binder full of instructions that detailed every single step of the stitching and finishing.  Really awesome.

Class sampler, inspired by springtime in Kansas, except that the Kansas ladies were quick to point out that the trees should have been leaning at a 45 degree angle.  It IS Kansas, after all!


Oh, is he too cute or what?

This sunflower was used as scissor fob motif.  And the bees!  Look at those cute bees!
Belinda was delightful.  And now I'm going to tell you something.  I freely admit that I am an East Coast cynic.  I grew up that way. It's just how I roll and it influences how I view people and interactions.  So when Belinda first arrived and behaved with such energy and good humor, in my East Coast head I was thinking, "Wow, this girl really knows how to work a room."  (yeah...cynical much?)  Not that there's anything bad about that...I admire people who can work rooms.

Ah, but here's the thing.  Belinda wasn't working it.  Energy and enthusiasm are her personality.  Yup, her attitude is genuine and even better, it's infectious.  As well as her attention to detail and her dedication to each and every student.  She was a marvelous instructor.  If you're near a shop that is bringing her to town for a class - GO.  You won't be sorry.

Oh, so what did I buy?  Well, I went all Springtime this shopping trip. 
Turn the Page.  Love the grapes!
Sweet Songs of Spring
Blooming with Inspiration
Fun, fun, fun!

Happy Easter and blessed Passover Wishes to all of my friends who are celebrating this weekend!

15 comments:

  1. You have been having so much stitching fun! I have loved all the posts about your stitching retreats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun experience. I think Sweet Songs of Spring is my favorute next to the sampler for the retreat.

    Nice trunk show. I see some things I have in my stash to stitch and others I might just need to acquire.

    Happy Easter, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like such fun! I love the project too. Thanks for showing everything off to us! I hope someday I'll get to take a class from Belinda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that you had a grat time. The sampler that Belainda designed for the class is gorgeous. Last May I took a class with her in NH. She was the best teacher and alot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a fabulous time! Love the project she created for your retreat! Belinda is an incredible teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you had a fabulous time and a fabulous instructor! Love the samplers you selected and love the idea of being able to easily use pieces of each for a pin cushion or scissor fob. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a fun post with lots of eye candy! The group photo is proof you allo had a fabulous time! Happy Easter....:~)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun, what fun!! Love the new stash, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those bees are cute! I love your new designs.
    Isn't it great when you meet someone who genuinely lights up a room? I'm glad you had such a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that class sampler! Glad you had a good time!

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a blast at the retreat! And I love your spring stash enhancement. Very pretty. You'll enjoy stitching those I'm sure.

    Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Lee, I am so glad you had such a good time...thank you so much for the lovely compliments! It was a true delight meeting you and all the Heart's Desire stitchers - I had a fabulous time! Thanks for posting such great photos. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok i seriously need to win the lottery so i can retire and travel the world via stitching retreats - great choices you ended up with from Blue Ribbon

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like a fantastic retreat! I love the class piece.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, this must have been total excitement and fun at the retreat. And your purchases - just awesome, very awesome!

    ReplyDelete