Thursday, April 21, 2011

A One Day Stitching Retreat

Earlier this April, I went to an all day stitching retreat held in the conference room of a Holiday Inn in Pittsburgh. Some of the Oglebay retreat ladies had mentioned it to me. Well, one thing led to another, then somebody forwarded an email to me and I decided to send in my reservation.

By all accounts, this was a rather hot ticket.  There is a specific mailing date and then it's first-come, first-served and then there's a waiting list after all the spots are filled.  And since the same people come year after year, I was thinking that my only chance was to watch the obituaries and see if I could squeeze in after some poor stitcher put in her last stitch.  Well, her last "earthly" stitch, anyway.  But lo and behold, poof!  I was in!

It was a very nice affair. Started at 8:30AM and included a light breakfast, a delicious lunch and then a light supper. It was supposed to end at 11PM, but I was tuckered out by 9:00 and knew I had a long drive home, so I left early. But many ladies stayed until the very end, and I know that several of the stitchers were spending the night at the hotel. For the first time in a long time, I wasn't the one who traveled the farthest.

Well, I had a lovely day.  There was stitching and eating and door prizes and contests and Show and Tell and shopping....have I left anything out?

Oh, I discovered that one of the ladies reads my blog (Hi there, Janice!),  And after reading all of my nonsense over the years, she still sat next to me for 12 hours.  Imagine that?  She's a brave woman.

So anyway, here's the project I worked on that day.  It's one of the smaller BBD charts and it's on 32 ct. Antique Ivory linen, stitched with HDF "Meadow" silk.  It used exactly five yards of silk.  And I loved every stitch.


Next post - KANSAS IN SPRINGTIME!  (or:  where is the nearest tornado shelter?)

10 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great day Lee! What fun. Your project is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty colors! And it sounds like a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so funny and it sounds like you had a great time! I'd love to sit by you for 12 hours and I'm sure Janice was thrilled as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colors of Remember Me! And I'm sure Janice had a wonderful time sitting beside you - glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a lovely day!
    Remember Me looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty little finish. I love both the thread color and the fabric.

    Sounds like a fun day.

    12 hours stitching next to you? Been there, done that. Nothin' to it!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you. You must have spent a wonderful day at the retreat. I love to read about retreats and then I always get a bit envious because we don't have that here - at least not as far as I know.
    BTW, I started my Older And Better project last month: it's Heart Full of Love by Jeremiah Junction. And thanks again for this great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great time. There's nothing better than getting together with a group of stitchers and stitching your heart out. Love your finish...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful finish; I love that color of HDF! Sounds like a wonderful retreat!

    ReplyDelete