Thursday, April 07, 2011

Sometimes I shake my head

Life in a fairly poor and rural county can be challenging.  It's all to easy to poke fun and be overly critical, so I try to follow the motto, "Live and Let Live." I know I'm far from perfect.

But still - sometimes I read the local rag and sigh.  Our county's drug and alcohol commission recently sponsored a social function, a Buffettman beach party, featuring a Jimmy Buffett impersonator. 

Really?  You are counseling drug and alchohol abstinence and yet you are highlighting a singer whose most famous song lyric is "Wasted Away in Margaritaville"?  Who is trying to trademark the name "Tiger Blood" for his own line of Vodka/Energy drinks?  Who also markets his own brand of beer and readymix margaritas? 

Oh, the irony...

7 comments:

  1. Hmm, let me think about that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does make you wonder doesn't it. Irony, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not just small communities, it's everywhere. Sometimes my only defense is to take a "news break" and read a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same where you go i think, sad to say.

    BTW, i love your Dandy Dreams from your previous post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not the greatest example to set for young people is it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone's not thinking, are they!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd be shaking my head too...and writing a letter.

    ReplyDelete