Thursday, May 05, 2011

Gardens of Ireland

We had lots of opportunities to visit gardens while we were in Ireland.  There were gardens in or around most of the historic and tourist sites we visited, but there were also gardens just for the sake of gardens.  We arrived towards the end of the tulip blooms, but they were still quite beautiful.  And I'll bet that in a week or two the rose bushes will be blooming.  We saw lots of buds, and when they open they'll make most of these gardens not only gorgeous to see, but glorious to smell!

St. Stephens Green



Merrion Square

Irish Museum of Modern Art


Glendalough - no gardens but lovely walking and hiking trails
(If you read my comments, you'll see that this photo was a replacement for the one I posted earlier.  After I set the camera timer then RAN over to sit next to Dave,  we inadvertently struck a pose that was...ummm...inappropriate.  He thought he was grabbing my waist, but with the help of age and gravity, certain parts of my body have sunk to my waist and it looked like he was grabbing somewhere else.  Evidently, this set two of my very dear stitching friends to giggling in front of their computer monitors and then commenting about it.  Once I realized this, and once I stopped screaming, I laughed, too.  Because if you can't laugh with your friends, who can you laugh with?  But I replaced the photo anyway, just to keep my blog clean and all.)

Sheep right out of a Warner Bros. cartoon

Shamrocks!

Powerscourt Japanese garden

Powerscourt fountains

More Powerscourt


And more Powerscourt

Tomorrow, the towns!

11 comments:

  1. Lucky girl! I love Ireland, and it's been quite a while since I've been there. So glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fabulous. (The picture of your husband groping you made me laugh.) Intentional?

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still laughing at Pam's comment :) !!

    Seriously--what a beautiful trip that must have been, Lee. I'll bet it was hard to come home...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am. So jealous.

    By the by, did you make Dad carry that handbag around with him the whole time? That's really sad. I mean, he already looks touristy enough in his Merrels and polo shirts. No need to make it worse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos Lee! There is just something so green about the greens in Ireland! Those gorgeous gardens just tug at my heart. Wait. There was groping going on? I need to look at those photos again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful photos...lucky you to visit the gardens of Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some really lovely photos. I would love to go to Ireland and seeing these photos makes me want to go even more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some really lovely photos. I would love to go to Ireland and seeing these photos makes me want to go even more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe I should make that a passport a book and not a card...looks like a lovely place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A bit of paradise! Love your scrapbook pages of Ireland, I hope one day I will be able to travel there. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photo memories. Smiles....

    ReplyDelete