Monday, May 09, 2011

Yes! Finished the retreat project!

I hope everyone had a great Mothers Day!  I had a wonderful weekend, starting with shopping at Trax Farms Friday night.  Trax is probably one of the happiest places on earth right now, with all of those flowers and all of that hope of Spring and nicer weather!  Not to mention a wine shop that carries the favorite wines I tried during our Erie weekend back in November.  And Trax was on my way to a stitch night...who wouldn't love that?

I didn't accomplish much at stitch night.  I was working on a new La D Da, but spent most of the evening trying to find a counting mistake.  Plus, show and tell was excellent Friday night, with our friend Nancy celebrating a new granddaughter AND finishing a beautiful religious design in her own color choices.

Nancy's project - I don't know the name, but I'm pretty sure it's a free design

Two of the girls had just returned from Celebrations in Nashua, where they took lots of classes and shopped and traded and had a fabulous time.  No wonder I couldn't count, let alone find a mistake, with fascinating talk like that bouncing around the room!

I spent Saturday cleaning.   Yuck.  But until I win the lottery and move into that self-cleaning house that I plan to invent, it's a necessary evil.  And evil it was, since I had been away so much in April that somehow a year's worth of dust and clutter accumulated in only 30 days.  I was also still unpacking.  Why is it that when I go away, it takes me forever to unpack my stuff and get it all back to its proper place?  In my mad cleaning, I found a suitcase with odds and ends still in it...from our trip to Sanibel, Florida.  Last January.  So that's where that stuff was...

But it was also our 28th wedding anniversary and that meant a nice meal out.  Good ol' Dave.  He's a keeper.

And then came Sunday, Mothers Day here in the US.  Both kids are still working their way through college final exams, so they couldn't come home and properly adore me, but they made me happy with phone calls and a beautiful blog post that made me cry.  I'm a very happy and proud mom, and sometimes I marvel at the luck that brought me such wonderful children.

But you're here for the stitching, right?  And my Mothers Day goal was to finish my project from the Hearts Desire Stitch Camp.  And yes I did!

Front of fob
Pincushion - That's the Nun stitch around the edges and it's affixed to WDW felt
Both pieces together, showing back of fob
The pincushion project had a cord attached to it to secure a pair of scissors, but I decided to omit it.  My original idea had been to add a magnet to the cushion for that purpose, but the felt was bit too thick for that.  It reduced the pull of the magnet too much.  So it's just a pincushion now.

I have an exciting week ahead, with John graduating from Allegheny College and all of the fun surrounding that.  I was cleaning his room Saturday (really just making it non-health-threatening because my mother and sister will be sleeping in there), and I was dusting his Matchbox car collection and the whole college graduation thing really hit me.  It's like Gretchen Rubin says..."The days are long, but the years are short."  I'm sure I'll have lots of those thoughts as this week goes by...

16 comments:

  1. I'd really like to stitch your friend's piece. Is there any way for me to find out more information about it?

    Sounds like you had an enjoyable Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your retreat finishes -- so pretty! Congratulations to your son on his graduation! It must be hard to believe for you. I know the feeling, and my daughter is just finishing her junior year of college. How do they grow up so fast?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finishes!! Congrats to your son--and you. I'm sure it's super bittersweet and thrilling at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful finishes!!! Congrats on your sons graduation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stitches!
    I think I might just be adopting that phrase about the days and years! Congrats to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on having two gorgeous new stitching accessories Lee! They both turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute finishes!

    Let me know when you invent that self-cleaning house...I would love to have one too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a great weekend, Lee-happy belated anniversary to you and Dave! 28 years is something to crow about :)

    Your finishes are darling--isn't is a good feeling to see how cute those smaller finishes work up...

    Aren't we lucky to blessed with our children? I feel truly lucky, too! I know your graduation weekend with John will make your heart swell with even more pride and happiness--enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty post! I really like the His name is Jesus piece, doesn't it look lovely in the royal purples?
    Your scissor fob is so cute, especially with those adorable scissors.
    Happy belated Anniversary! And, you got lucky enough to have wonderful kids by being a wonderful mom.

    Congrats to John on his graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh love the smalls and the sampler!!! All of your pieces are so pretty.

    Happy belated anniversary and congrats to your son and you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lee! I finally finished the stitching on the retreat pieces, and the fob is finished. I am going to finish the pin cushion differently...think I will back it with fabric and center the pretty design. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lee!
    Wow, you've been busy traveling and stitching. I enjoyed all your travel shots and the pieces you did at the retreat are sweet.
    Congrats to John on his graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lee,

    You have been busy the past few weeks! Enjoyed seeing your finished Blue Ribbon Designs class pieces!

    ReplyDelete