Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I wish you all could have seen these in person

I wish I had had time to document each and every piece in the HDF exhibit. I wish I possessed mad camera skilz so that my pictures were more clear. Heck, I wish all of you had been there with me because part of the fun of seeing exhibits like this is sharing your excitement with other people.

I was really pleased to have the opportunity to get up close and personal with each piece of needlework.  No barriers, no ropes.  Some of the needlework was framed, and some of it was not.  Truthfully, I was just as happy to see the unframed work.  You could get your eyeballs right up there and examine each piece.  Well, except the smalls.  They were mostly in display cases.  And even though we were very, very tempted, we didn't actually touch anything.

First, I hope you can click on all of the photos to enlarge them.  It'll make a world of difference.

Well, I tried to photograph the pieces that jumped out at me for one reason or another.  First up is this Halloween piece and is that fabric amazing or what?  I typically don't like Halloween design, but this one was stunning.






Same here.  Not crazy about Halloween, but I had to love the fabric color, threads and beading on this piece. 
I've been wanting to stitch this BBD piece for several years now.  I may have to kit this up.!
Some needlepoint designs and kits for sale.
A wonderful Quaker and - lucky me!  This chart was part of the tag sale!  Do you need to even ask if I bought it?
A 9-11 quilt

Another one of the 9-11 Quilts

An amazing original piece by a fellow from Boston who has since passed away.  I met one of his friends at the show, and she told me that he would just start with a blank piece of fabric and design as he went.  I stood and looked a this piece for a long time.  There is a lot to see.
Look at the bottom alphabet and the way it appears to reflect off water.  Love it.


I NEED one of these for my family.
So many stunning Quakers.

Quaker Christmas in Red

Quaker Christmas in green
Of course, this drew my eye since I had recently stitched it. I love the floss colors and their variations.
A scissor and fob collection belonging to ONE person.  Yes, one person.

Love the black fob with the red flowers

So tiny.  Carol I....you would have liked this one.
More teeny tiny.  I wish I had something next to it to illustrate its scale.
About the size of a large postage stamp
There were several really nice displays of smalls, but they were in glass cases under windows and were very difficult to photograph.

I thought you might enjoy a little thread comparison:
Quaker Diamonds stitched with Valdani Threads.
Quaker Diamonds stitched with HDF

HDF
Valdani threads

My choice for Peoples Choice award. It was difficult to photograph also,because it was hanging in a window.  But take my word for it, it was fantastic.  And who can argue with 1,710 Queen stitches? 



And finally!  Best in Show - a Reversible Spanish Stitch piece


Tried to show you some of the detail up close.

Sometime soon I'll post some pictures of my latest needlework.  There's not much, but I'm getting in a few lengths of thread here and there.   I have lots of family things keeping me busy lately, so I'm glad to get even that much done. These pesky kids...

15 comments:

  1. There are no words to descrbe all these lovely pieces! Thanks so much for sharing. Where is this show located - is there a website to visit that you know of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After looking at your pics, I've become very jealous of your trip! Don't you feel incredibly inspired to stitch 24/7? And then our pesky kids (and grandkids ... nothing better) need us and off we go. We drop our stitching because there'll always be time later. Life's good, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate you posting all these pictures and comments with them. It makes up for the fact that I could not attend this and have to live vicariously through others. Thanks you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great post! I was savouring each of your comments and pictures. And yes, I wish I could have seen this exhibiton.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for taking the time to share your pictures - so many pretty things, just wish i could see it for real

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonder if any SEPA people would be interested in going July 2. But you know, I still don't love pieces on wildly colored fabric that much. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla {strike that} rainbow sherbet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing all of your beautiful photographs! What amazing needlework...everything is so beautiful! I just love looking what others have stitched...I would have been in heaven!

    Thank you for such an inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, Lee! What an amazing exhibit this must have been. That bird/fish sampler catches my eye too! I wish I could have gone with you; my excitement would have known no bounds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your photos of such beautiful stitching!

    I love the Quaker peices, i have Quaker Diamonds in my to do (eventually) pile, perhaps next year i will put it to te top :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness - thank you for posting all these wonderful pictures. While there are some (like the Halloween pieces) that I probably wouldn't be interested in doing them myself, I just love seeing someone else's work. What eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing these photos! How I would have loved to have been there! I live in
    Georgia and we use to have needlework shows occasionally in Atlanta, etc. but no more. I cannot remember the last show I went to....
    Also, I loved the fact that each piece was unframed so you could really see and enjoy the work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. W.O.W. I can't imagine getting to see some of those pieces up close and personal!! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seriously! Beautiful. Stunning. Breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for sharing these photos Lee, there are some truly amazing pieces there. The 9-11 quilts are amazing, I am simply speechless and the amount of work that has gone into them. In your opinion, for Spring Quakers, which version is the best, the one stitched with HDF or the Valdani threads?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing stuff and some by people I know. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete