Thursday, July 21, 2011

It was so hot this morning,

That when I came back inside from my daily walk/run, even my eyeballs were sweating.

But who cares about all that, when I have TWO finishes to show you?  First up - BBD's Rose Garden.  I really thought this would be pincushion sized, until I actually started stitching it.  All alone, it was kind of an awkward size.  Too big to be a pincushion, too small to be a pillow.  So it needed a bit of help.  Luckily, I'm addicted to quilt fabric, also.  This checked fabric was in my stash, probably for another project, but who knows what that could have been. 

BBD's Rose Garden.  Stitched with HDF's BeWhined.  Don't know what this fabric was though.  Just a leftover scrap.

I used to belong to our local garden club and occasionally they'd have a jewelry fundraiser.  The club members would clean out their jewelry boxes and hold a little flea market.  I found this pin and loved it.  It looks perfect on my grey blazer.  But until it's blazer wearing weather, it can rest on my pillow. 
And by the way, if anyone has any tips on how to stuff a pillow nicely, I'd love to know them.  The cotton sections always look nicely stuffed, but the linen section never seems to be as smooth, no matter how much I stuff in there.

And here is finish #2 - La D Da's Tis the Gift.  I absolutely adored stitching this.

La D Da's Tis the Gift.  Stitched on 28ct PTP Chime linen with recommended threads

The linen is actually much more of a buttery yellow than you can see here. Love, love, loved it.  I can't wait to have this framed.  And now I had better to get to work so I can afford all of this framing. 

27 comments:

  1. Not sure if you put iron on interfacing on the back of your stitched piece, but I think it really helps to do that. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both finishes are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of your finishes:) So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cheat --- I make a pillow form and stuff THAT into the pillow (I live being able to remove the stitchery to clean it so often the pillow is an envelope closure or even has a zipper......)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderul finishes! Love the addition of the pin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mama joan is right about the iron on interfacing. It does help to keep the crinkles out. That being said, your pillow finishing looks great and love the fabric you chose. I'm not real good when it comes to choosing fabric. La-D-Da is beautiful!!
    hugs,
    babs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, congratulations on the finishes! They're both wonderful. I am going to now read your comments about finishing--I see that others have given some good advice. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. forgot to mention I like your Pin. I'm always on the look out for unusual pins :)
    babs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great finishes Lee! Love the pillow and the LaDDa. It's actually nice to see something stitched on this color. It's on my list of possible PTP to order. Never bought any of their fabric but some of the colors look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the finishes!! I love the rose pin on the pillow; excellent little touch.

    As far as stuffing the pillow, I don't have any hints. But maybe next time make an entire pillow from the cotton and then sew the linen over it? If that makes sense? I fully admit I know nothing about sewing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pillow and what a neat way to show off pins.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your finishes and especially love the idea of placing a pin on the pillow!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both finishes are wonderful. Love the pillow and the rose jewelry attached.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love both pieces and the pin is such a nice addition. I have quite a few pins, some I wear, some I don't...but that would be a neat way to display them.

    Besides the iron on interfacing (be sure it's only 'iron on' on one side!) you could put batting to the back.... that ads a nice even look after its stuffed. Just put the stitching on the batting and pin together while you sew the other fabric pieces on then stuff leaving the batting up against the back of the stitching.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful finishes! You did a wonderful job with the pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You went for a walk/run in this heat and humidity!?!?!? I haven't left the house except to get the mail!

    Beautiful job on both finishes, Lee! I was happy to read Pam's suggestions about finishing, too. Have to give them a try... Love the pin idea on your little pillow :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look great Lee! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well - I think you'll have to find a new pin for your grey blazer - this one is just too perfect on the pillow!

    Mary in MN

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both of these pieces are just beautiful and I love the way Rose Garden is done as a pillow. Congrats on the finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your finishes. I have a crazy way of stuffing, but it works for me. I cut two pieces of cotton batting just a tad smaller than the finished pillow. I slide them inside the pillow and then stuff between the pieces of batting. I think it makes stuffing much easier and it makes for very smooth-looking pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your finishes are so sweet. Love the pillow finish. How did I miss LDD Tis a Gift???? This is my favorite Shaker hymn and I love this design. I am now off to find this one... I just love it.

    Happy stitching on your next projects and stay cool.....

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love seeing how others finish things. It gives me, one with little imagination, ideas! Thanks for sharing your pretty work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on the finishes! Both are lovely, but you know how much I love the BeWhined color in Rose Garden. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks lovely, and pictures always pick up the hills and dales of the stuffed pillow...it's perfect as is that pin that you have adorning it until fall :)
    Love the LA D DA - perfect!

    ReplyDelete