Saturday, July 30, 2011

Little finish

Sunflowers? Gotta love 'em. So when my friend Sue sent me this little card, I knew I had to drop everything and stitch it. Doesn't it remind you of my pysanky eggs? Obviously I switched the fabric color...I've never been fond of working on black.  That's PTP Twilight and DMC floss.


And I just dropped off two finishes to be framed last night.  Between the Micheal's framing sale and the Joann's coupon that I had in my hot little hands, I was pretty happy.  The total price was so reasonable, it was like I was back in the 1980's,! 

Don't you wish we had a time machine that could transport us back to the 80's just for needlework framing purposes?  And then I'd come directly back, because everything else about the 80's I could leave behind there.  The clothes, the hair, the music.  And especially crappy Chevy Citation I was driving back then.

Not my car.  Mine was Moronic Maroon and in much worse shape.  I totally hated that car.
Moronic Maroon.  Should that be a thread color?  Did I tell you that I get a thread monthly from Hand Dyed Fibers?  Vicki uses such unusual names for her threads.  The last batch I received were all dragon themed.  Dragon tears, dragon breath, dragon claw, dragon blood.  I love to open those packages and read all of the names.  Of course, the deep, dark sarcastic side of me loves the dark names....like BeWhined, Bitterness, Primordial Ooze, Rue the Night, and my fave - Acts of Violets.

Oh, and speaking of unusual names, we had a new stitcher at our Friday night group last night.  Here name was Rhodabell May Hogbin and she was just a delight.  She brought us her amazing collection of Shepherds Bush stockings and told us how she loved each and every stitch on each stocking.  They really were quite marvelous.

Evidently, she was quite the comedian, too, because the ladies at her end of the table were laughing like crazy at the end of the night.  Which is also very interesting because they're all so hard of hearing.  So if they were only hearing half of what she said and still laughing that hard?  Well, she must be a regular Sinbad of Stitching.

This could be interesting. 

Time to run the sweeper and wake my son, (aka Sleeping Beauty). 

15 comments:

  1. I love your finish! Very prettily done...
    But I'm gonna have to disagree to the 80's music comment :) the 80's totally rocked! Hair bands, my burgeoning adolescence...those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet finish and pretty linen!!!! Not sure I want to go back to the 80's ;-).

    When my kids lived at home I always ran the vacuum cleaner to wake them up, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the egg - but totally disagree with your thoughts about the 80's. Like Vonna - I grew up with big hair (bangs 3" above the head was normal), big hair bands, the clothes, easy to find a job, low gas prices, no responsiblity, and time to party! I drove a Mazda GLC - yep, a crappy car but mine all mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha! Love the cool color names!!! Kinda like the food themed crayola colors. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the egg! I have these grand plans of doing a bunch of them and displaying them for Easter but it never happens.

    Rhodabell May--LOVE the name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the egg also and the beautiful blue it is finished on . So nice you have a stitching group Lee. Always great to have a good laugh with the gals too. Hope you get some more porch time this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the egg on the blue!! I agree, the 80's pricing was good, but so many other things should just be left behind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that little finish. The fabric colour is so dramatic, but absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh I love that egg and especially the fact that its sunflowers! I love sunflowers and I think it looks wayy better on the blue you stitched it on instead of black.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My LNS charges a lot for framing, so I was so pleasantly surprised when I found an excellent framer at my local Michaels. Especially since they are nearly always running sales. I always feel like I get more bang for my buck that way. That PTP Twilight is a gorgeous color. Silkweaver used to have a color very similar to that called Sapphire or something like that. I am so done with Silkweaver for now, but that's a whole 'nother story. Ask me, if you're interested, as I'm not sure if I'll blog about it for a while longer yet. I'm still giving them enough rope to hang themselves, but it's been two months and I'm getting no satisfaction. I'm hoping that the gals at PTP can help me out, since a lot of quality stitchers seem to love their fabrics. So, that's how you have so many of Vikki's threads. Hmm... I need a monthly batch of fibers like I need a hole in my head, but it sounds lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute little finish! and I LOVE the fabbie you used! It's beautiful!! Can't wait to see your framed pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always thought it would be a terrific job to name colours... for paint chips or crayons...floss would be even more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm pretty sure Moronic Maroon should be a crayon color.

    ReplyDelete