Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Some lovely, lovely blog friends

This week has started much better than last week. Everyone who was on my nerves last week is officially off my nerves this week.

As much as I don't like to admit it, sometimes when I'm faced with big entertaining - like 50 or more people, which is big for me - I start to get a little persnickety.  And a little compulsive.  And difficult to live with.  All right.  Downright impossible to live with.  It's a good thing I have an understanding family and nice friends.  Especially my husband, who agreed to help me host the neighborhood party last Friday, knowing that he'd be working an 11 hour day and returning to a house full of people.  And getting up to go back to work Saturday morning.  He's a great guy.

All in all, it was a good kick-off to a holiday weekend.  Then Saturday morning I met with my friend Linda at the Oakmont Bakery, where we had some lunch and talk and stitching.  I had never been there on a Saturday before and we were amazed by the crowds of people ordering rolls and baked goods and by the amazing cakes walking out the door.  It was really something to see.  I wish I could have taken some pictures to show you, but there were so many people in front of the bakery counters that I would only have been able to show you the backs of people's legs.  So after a week of kind of stressing out (and completely denying that I was stressed), a morning of friendly stitching was just the ticket and Linda is a terrific stitching companion. 

Enjoyed a relaxing day on the deck on Sunday, then all of the fun July 4 happenings here at our lake.  And I would have been sad to get back to normal yesterday, except that these beauties were waiting at my post office. Look at this sweet monogrammed pincushion!

From the wonderful and kind Denise, who did a quick BBD chart switcharoo with me.  I sent her Basket of Memories and she sent me Rose Garden.  Miss Blazing Needles over there in Ohio stitched and finished her pincushion in record time, but I'm still stitching away on Rose Garden.  Almost finished though...But anyway, when Denise returned Basket of Memories, she also tucked this sweet pincushion into the package.  I just love it.  Love my monogram.  Love the silver button and the trim, love the thought that went behind it.  I've already thanked her privately, but now I'll do it publicly.  Thank you Denise!  It's awesome.

And generous Joanie read my post about our visit to HDF, where I talked about my love affair with those particular silk threads.  Well, this was the result.  She sent me a big squishy envelope of these wonderful silks.  It was like opening a rainbow.  At Christmas.  But in July.  Thank you, Joanie!  I enjoyed fondling them and sorting them and photographing them, and now I'll enjoy stitching with them!


I am one very blessed blogger.  

17 comments:

  1. There's no way I could host such a large party -- good for you! Great mail too! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woweee! Lots of lovely goodies through the post. Well done on hosting your party. I can't cope with more than a couple of people! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies - Lee's comments about the Oakmont Bakery are right on - it is a huge place and so full of tempting treats! The one wedding cake we saw had little tuxedo's around the top layer (or maybe it was the groom's cake). Anyway - it was a madhouse and we talked and stitched and it was like we were in another world. So good for both of us!! We missed Carol (who had to work) but we're going to try to meet up monthly. So come join us on August 13th!!

    Love your basket of smalls and that pincushion from Denise is wonderful. And those silks!!!!! - way to go Joanie.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely monogrammed pinkeep! Glad you liked the silk...sorry that there wasn't a note or anything with it, I was in such a hurry to get it out to you! Enjoy them and show me what you've stitched with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful gifts! And YGG on hosting that party. I think something like that would have done me in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness - that silk is something to behold! Glad to hear you like the pin cushion - it looks fab in your basket of goodies.

    You are certifiably nuts hosting a gathering that large! No way in the world - I have done 2 graduation parties with 75-100 people over 4 hours but nothing like you have done.

    Happy stitching with that silk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry I had to miss the stitching time with you and Linda on Saturday, Lee--sounds like you two had a great time. Did you buy any goodies at the bakery? Hopefully, I'll be able to make it next time :)

    Great gifts from Denise and Joanie--you are indeed one blessed blogger... Nothing like a great mail day, is there?

    Hey--I panic over entertaining 10 or 20--I could never, ever do 50+. I know my limits :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am still thinking about 50 people....wow!

    Your basket of smalls looks great. How sweet of Denise. And those threads from Joanie - again, wow!!

    What a great mail day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful mail. What will you stitch with the silks?

    I wish your bakery/stitching location was closer.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such lovely gifts! And you are so deserving of them my friend. Glad you were able to get together with Linda. I loved your last post, gripes and all! I am going to set aside some stitching time today. Time to get going again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just wanted to let you know that I've given you the Stylish Blogger award. You can pop over to my website to pick it up. http://lotuspond.silentblue.net/blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you had a fabulous gathering!

    Oh, and your gifties...so lovely! Yes, we are blessed to be a part of such a wonderful blogging community!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Geez, 50 people?! I'd be freaking out, too.

    Wonderful gifts! I love your basket o'pincushions!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow what lovely gifts you've received!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I already posted about the HDF silks on Stashaholics Anonymous, but this is just an amazing selection. Just so beautiful to look at. What a wonderful gift! :)

    ReplyDelete