Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sometimes my Fridays are way too much fun

As a rule, I try really, really hard not to work on Fridays.  Sometimes it can't be helped.  It's just the nature of holding three part-time jobs and having kids (even though they're not little anymore).  I kind of have to juggle things this way and that.  But if I get it especially right, I can have a whole Friday without working. 

This Friday was one of those days and I got to spend the afternoon with two dear friends that I made as a result of blogging, Linda and Carol.  So, so much fun. Lunch, wonderful conversation and stitching made for a perfect afternoon.

Here's a quick aside and then I'll get back to telling you about my Friday.  If you read here, or any blog for that matter, and you don't have a blog but you're on the fence about starting one...just do it!  I've met so many nice people through blogging and made so many wonderful friends - I know you'll have the same experience.  Don't be shy.  And you don't have to be a genius or a world class writer.  (Clearly.  Have you gone thru my archives?  There's some very non-genius stuff in there.  Even anti-genius)  Writing may feel odd to you at first, but after a while it'll start to flow and you'll find it's very easy.  Like I said, just do it.

OK, back to Friday.  Linda had some great projects to show us, including a Hardanger snowman she received as a Fair and Square exchange.  (it's on her blog, if you click on her name up there).  She had started a neat project for an upcoming retreat, too (lucky girl... wish I was going!).  And Carol?  Well, she's a master-finisher when it comes to smalls.  If you've clicked on her name and browsed through her blog, you'll see her fine, fine work.  She let me take a picture...and there are more that she's recently posted over at Stitching Dreams.

Photo is a bit blurry, but her finishing is exquisite.

Then, oh my....look what tried to sneak its way into her stitching bag!  My poor deformed egg!

Please, please take me with you and adopt me and fix me!  I can't take this woman's ineptitude any more!
Ahhh, we had a good laugh.  One of us (ahem...Linda....ahem) started to sing the Sesame Street song, "One of these things is not like the others.  One of these things just doesn't belong..."  Really now. 

Sadly, the afternoon had to end and I said goodbye to these dear ladies.  But I was reasonably close to Michael's, where I had left off some framing a couple weeks ago, so I thought I'd call and see if by chance it was complete.  Not quite yet, but they told me it would probably be ready before 9PM.  Now, I knew that my Friday night group was meeting nearby, so I decided to hang out with them till 9. 

AND I picked up my framing at 9:00 - but I'm saving that for my next post!  Catch you then!

11 comments:

  1. How fun! Sounds like a great time and it's always exciting to meet fellow bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I become a member of your "Finishing Skills Challenged Club"? I don't even try any more so you are to be commended for your attempts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree about the blogging. I have truely met the nicest group of people. One of these days I think I will try to organize a get to gether with a few of us...we all live in Arizona ...somewhere, but I think it can be done. Your day sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine working 3 part-time jobs! And still have time for stitching!! You're an amazing lady Lee!

    It does sound like a great Friday! Too funny about the Sesame Street Song and your little egg hehehe. Made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure enjoyed the afternoon with you and Linda, Lee! Thanks for all the compliments, too--you've got me blushing here (but, "master-finisher"?? Not sure about that one!)

    And honestly, I've never even tried to finish an oval project like your egg--who knows how mine would turn out. At least you are brave enough to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, far too much fun for Friday, why don't I live in Sewickley any more, whining here! Admit, Lee, oval is hard! Carol does beautiful finishing but it's mostly square or rectangular which is a liitle easier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful day! I agree with you about blogging, it was unexpected to "meet" people and get to know them but it's been the best surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky you to have the chance to meet with Linda and Carol.

    Can't wait to see the framed items.

    My non-work day is Monday. I love that day the best...everyone goes back to school or work, the household tasks and errands are done, and the house is ALL MINE.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Must have been an enjoyable and also funny afternoon with the stitching ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ROFLOL about your egg. I think it looks great!! It must be so fun to get together with stitching buddies--lucky you. I agree about blogging--it's really been a huge blessing in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now aren't you the lucky ducks, getting to spend time with great stitchers that become friends! And let me say, your egg looks great. Tried that once, and it really was not a pretty sight! Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete