Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Describe a favorite place

I'll be using one of the NaBloPoMo writing prompts today because I'm having a hard time coming up with anything that doesn't sound like so much blah, blah, blah.  So today I'm going to share some favorite stitching places.

I have several favorite places for stitching...mostly it's wherever I can stitch with friends! 

Panera Bread meeting rooms are great.  Sometimes they're not the cleanest places in the world, but the staff is usually accommodating and will come and clean if you ask.  I frequent two Paneras and I think that they finally get that stitchers are a little persnickety about having clean work spaces.

Every fall I stitch at a small B&B for an extended weekend and it's sheer luxury.  On a cold fall day, its warm and cozy and we are truly waited on, hand and foot.  There's nothing like stitching in the afternoon and smelling the cookies that the host is taking from the oven. That's just one of the many things I love about it.

I like stitch "camps", too.  These are usually with big groups - like 30 or more.  I've been to bunkhouses, hunting cabins, and retreat centers.  It's not luxury but it feels so much like being a kid at camp again.  Except the arts and crafts are better, and the sing-alongs only happen after a bottle of wine or two has been opened. 

In the winter we go to a resort and rent a huge modern "cabin" that sleeps 16.  It also has fantastic lighting, room for lots of stitchers and a kitchen to die for.  One thing I really like about it is that it's so spacious that our dining and stitching areas can be completely separate, so there's no risk of spillage and we don't have to put away all the stitching while we eat.  Eating is family style, meaning that all of us sit at the dining room table at once.  It has a great gas fireplace, but being that we're women of "a certain age", someone is always too hot or too cold, so we leave that be. 

And there you have it! Some of my favorite places!  Where are yours?


7 comments:

  1. For true peace and quiet - our local library can't be beat - it's got good lighting and a perfect atmosphere for stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 2 stitching groups and one of them meets at the local coffee shop. This is good because we can have lunch. The other meets at one of the girls home. She has a beautiful screen porch that we use. Still, my favorite place is my comfy chair in front of the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Paneras....have never stitched there though....might be a good excuse to go and have a tea and one of their yummy cakes - oh, and do some stitching too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to sit outside on our lanai...listen to the water in our little pond and listen the the birds talking at the feeder. When I can't be out there, the comfy purple chair and ottoman are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a small stitching group that got named "The Country Club" by the friend of one member. We take over the LNS where we all met on Sundays (the shop's closed then). It's easy since 3 of our members work at the shop so we have keys, all supplies we could need are there (no frustrations over a missing thread or such), and we've developed a stable of about 8 restaurants that are either close or deliver. We could do with more comfortable chairs though-- after 4 hours my fanny gets a little sore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hammock is a nice place to be in the summer. Otherwise, my stitching chair has to be my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Other than my quiet stitching spots at home, I enjoy anywhere that I can stitch either quietly by myself or with my stitching friends.

    ReplyDelete