Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Waiting for the plumber

And waiting.  And waiting.  I could be here all day.  The hard part about the waiting is wanting to fill my time with something productive, but feeling so distracted that I can't wrap my head around anything.  The good thing is that he has promised to arrive today and that means I may get my kitchen sink back again!  One of the hardest parts about this kitchen remodel has been washing dishes in the basement.  And not being able to strain pasta or noodles near the stove.  Ah, little sink.  How I miss you!

This catch-as-you-can food situation has been killing my healthy diet, too.  My WW weigh-in was not exactly a cause for celebration last week.

I'm blaming it on the plumber.  Works for me.

Anywho...Today starts National Blog Posting Month, when we join a group and promise to write a blog post every day.  You can read more about it here.  BlogHer offers us a daily writing prompt - a nice jump start when your writing battery is dead - and I liked today's prompt, so I'm going to run with it.

What is your favourite part about writing?


Well, I'll tell you.  My favorite part about writing is expressing what I really mean.  When I write, I don't just type away and hit "publish" or "send".  I write, I backspace, I cut, I paste.  And when it's all done, I like to think that what I've just produced for someone to read is pretty darn close to what I intended.


I wish I could tell you that my conversational skills were as well thought out.  I say the wrong things all the time.  Oh no...I don't just screw up words.  That would probably be kind of funny in a self-deprecating humor kind of way.  I just say stupid, inappropriate stuff.  I say things that make me wish there was a three second delay as a part of my conversation, just so I could suck back whatever dumb thing I've just said.  There's nothing like saying something that you think is a joke and watching someone's blank face just stare back at you.  Or telling a story that you know you never should have been let up for air.  Or rambling.  You know, when you realize you've just rambled on way past your original point and you see your conversational partner's eyes are totally glazed over. 


Then there are all the things that go unsaid.  The responses that form in my head that never make it to my mouth, and I know I'm thinking them and I should say them, but then I weenie out.  Or the times I go totally blank.  I'm saying nothing because I have nothing and I really wish I had something!


It seems like I can't strike a balance between saying too much or saying not enough. Seriously, sometimes I think I'm a walking social disaster.  But I don't feel that way when I write and that's my favorite part about writing.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, two peas in a pod, you and me. Hanging with a group of teachers one day I was trying to explain my friend's dilemna regarding her teacher daughter (long Christmas break) and the boyfriend who only got Christmas day off..... they couldn't seem to grasp the problem and I refered to the boyfriend as having a 'real job'. Oops. I mean a job where you don't have huge long holiday breaks. The silence was deafening while I replayed in my brain what words had just come out of my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can assure you since we've met - you are NOT a walking social disaster!

    Come on plumber - Lee needs her kitchen BACK soon! Holidays and no sink mean eating out.

    ReplyDelete