Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Zombies and other things

So last night while I was stitching and watching my zombie show,  I got so excited that my arms flew out and my needle went flying.  I'm still hunting for it, because I'll bet you dollars to donuts that it finds its way into my husband's foot and then he'll have to walk like this:

 

Anyway, forgetting about the zombies for a moment, you may be just slightly more interested to read that I've been stitching!  I'll tell you, if not for my stitching buds, I doubt I'd have anything to show you.  I thank heaven for my stitching friends.  They keep me motivated and visits with them make me sit down, take a breath and remember how much I love my stitching.

And now I can share a finish with you.  A bit of backstory - There's this wonderful group of women I met through blogging.  Beyond stitching and blogging, we all had bits and pieces of our lives that were in common with each other and well...these great friendships formed!  We started getting together here and there, and then we decided to spend a stitching weekend together.  It was a wonderful trip, and now it's a yearly tradition!  

So here are my Erie Girls and me:
Clockwise from the top, that's me, Carol, Pam, Linda and Barb, just before our gourmet breakfast!
We like to do small exchange gifts for each other, and this year's exchange was really fun.  Since we all buy the JCS Ornament issue, we each chose one of this year's ornaments and then put together 5 identical kits for each other.  (Five, because our innkeeper is a stitcher, too and we wanted to give her a little something.  She treats us so well!)

For my kits, I chose Little By Little's ornament, Joy of the Snowflake.  So I started stitching my model in the charted colors (blue and brown) and while I liked it, it wasn't thrilling me. The blue was lovely, but the brown snowflakes?  Not so much.   



So I raided my fabric box and my Vikki Clayton silks and came up with this:

PTP 32ct linen (Phoenix) and HDF Kali and White Chocolate
Tomorrow I'll show you the kits I received and other stitching we had going on over the weekend.  I can promise you some great stuff!

17 comments:

  1. I love your Joy ornament! Awesome changes and it looks fabulous on your linen choice!

    Robin in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ornament looks like you and your friends had great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun time!! I'd love to do something like this - I can imagine how good it is to get away for an entire weekend with stitchy friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that show too! That is a Sunday night must see for me.

    How wonderful to get away and stitch with stitchy friends, lucky you. Your red linen is perfect for your ornament, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh your weekend sounds like it was so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so admire people like you who confidently change the color palette and linen color - and it looks GREAT too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How great that you made friends with on line .buddies:-) and i love your ornie! such a lovely colour

    Hunt that needle down, i wasn't aware that i was missing a needle but my husband got up to close the blinds on Saturday night and stepped right on one! Luckily he had slippers on, even so it went through those and stuck in the ball of his foot! Lucky in a way that it was him and not me or DD because we walk around barefoot and it would have been a lot worse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG....I love the red conversion! This is my favorite design this year but now that I see it on the red, I like it even more. I can't believe how much it changes the design. If you allow, I will have to steal this idea....just too great not too!

    happy stitching....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your Joy ornament! Your changes are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like version 2 much better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a lovely bunch of women you got to stitch with!

    I like the zombie smoking a cigarette!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, it looks like a completely new design. The colours you chose with fabric and threads are simply gorgeous. I think I have to try these things as well. I have a couple of dark fabrics, blue, brown, purple, and I never use them because most of the designs ask for light fabric. Which is perfectly OK but why not try a darker one instead ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how fun!!! I know what you are talking about because getting together with my stitching friends is just the best time ever!!!! I would love to do your idea of the ornament kit exchange...how do you make sure that someone does not pick the same ornament?

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a clever idea for an exchange! Love that Joy ornament--I love your color changes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both versions look lovely but boy, that one on the red fabby sure is striking!

    Hugs,
    Veronica.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Joy ornament is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete