Sunday, December 04, 2011

Before and After Kitchen

Hear ye, Hear ye!  As of today, you will not be subjected to reading my whining about my kitchen remodel anymore!  Because we are done.  It's over. (Do you hear the trumpets sounding?)

As promised, here are my before and after pictures.  I didn't take any pictures of the process because I want to forget that mess.  Why keep pictures that make me nervous?

OK, the first photo is taken from my dining area, which is two steps below the kitchen.  I took this photo after I I had removed most of the stuff from the cabinets and countertops, so you won't really see how cluttered my counters were.  At this point, the microwave, the breadbox and most everything else had been moved. And that's why there are fire extinguishers and a step stool on the floor.

Notice the 1960's style cabinets.  (I think these are also in Betty Draper's Mad Men kitchen).  The lack of decent light. The really bad drywall ceiling.  The handmade scalloped border on the bulkhead.  The vinyl tile floor - surplus from a Burger King kitchen somewhere. The portable dishwasher.  Part of the laminate of the countertop missing. So that was it.  The extent of my cabinet and counter space.



And here is after.The dishwasher is built in and replaced by a rolling center island. We replaced the drywall ceiling with tongue and groove pine, added recessed lighting in the ceiling and under cabinet lighting.  We replaced the Burger King vinyl with ceramic, bought when we added the family room nine years ago.  And lucky us...there was just enough.



My refrigerator area.  I needed the space on top to fit cereal boxes and miscellaneous crap I used that wouldn't fit in my limited cabinets.  Like the salad spinner and plastic pitchers.  You can glimpse some of my counter top clutter in this picture.


After - with the fridge inside its own cabinet and a cabinet above.  For those pesky cereal boxes.


This is a photo of the doorway that leads to our family room.  I had a bakers rack by the door and it housed my cookbooks, some decorative stuff and the bottom shelf usually held my step stool and a bunch of other clutter.  Like potatoes.  Onions.  Pepsi.  And you can see how very lovely that ancient portable dishwasher was, with its fossilized Strawberry Shortcake stickers that were impossible to remove.


So here is the after photo.  Replaced the bakers rack with a glass front cabinet and a really useful base cabinet.  We moved the sink into the corner to add a built in dishwasher.  YES!


Ah, the clutter.  The lack of cabinetry!


It's amazing how much more space we had when we put the microwave over the stove instead of on the counter.  And the appliance garage really clears those counters even more.  Garbage was moved inside a sliding cabinet near the sink.


Here's the other side of the cabinet that replaced the bakers rack.  It faces the kitchen dining area and houses my cookbooks and my WINE.  So I can sit in that chair and just reach over and grab a bottle anytime I want.  Hey...there are empty spaces there.  Gotta remedy that.


And finally, here's a photo with the rolling island moved out of the center.  When I'm cooking, I like having that little island handy near the stove.  It houses my cutting boards, plastic wrap, foil, tupperware and eventually it'll hold my knives.  But knew I'd want to roll it out of the way when we have company.  People always stood around my dishwasher when I'd have parties and it created a big traffic jam in the kitchen. 

So that's it.  I still have a couple tiny cosmetic things to fix in the kitchen dining area.  Like re-covering the cold air returns, painting its ceiling and changing the wallpaper.  But otherwise my kitchen is finished. 

Thanks for putting up with my whining over these past two months!  I honestly could have made a career of it.  But it's all over now.  Thank heavens!  Maybe I'll even have some stitching to share one of these days...

33 comments:

  1. Fabulous darling, just fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Looks great. I love the ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Love your cabinets...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fantastic!! Enjoy your new kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! It's wonderful! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous transformation! It looks like you've utilized every possible inch which is a wonderful thing. I love how you built in the frig. I want to redo my kitchen in the next 10 years and that is something I want to do along with having a place for my cookbooks and recessed lighting. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. GORGEOUS!!!! I love the COUNTER TOPS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a stunning transformation, Lee!! I love everything about it--especially your cabinets, counters, and that moveable island--great idea!! It looks so warm and welcoming, I'm sure you'll love spending more time in there for the holidays...

    Congratulations on a lovely remodel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A gorgeous new kitchen, so peaceful. Love your bookcase, pretty floor, the extra lighting will be a huge bonus:) Enjoy your new space, congrats on a stunning remodel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the rolling island - what a perfect solution! Congrats on a job well done and enjoy it for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, Lee! Your new kitchen is just gorgeous and functional too! And you still have time to spare before Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking new kitchen! I love the rolling island and the open side of the cabinet for the cook books. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful kitchen Lee! You will certainly enjoy cooking in there . I can smell it now! Enjoy the wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful new kitchen!Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks gorgeous. And now I'm embarrassed to "show off" my freshly painted kitchen (with curtain valances made by moi)....because I still have those 1960s cabinets.... :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on the new kitchen, it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. just fabulous, Lee. Enjoy!!! I bet you smile every time you walk in there. I love your center island, that is perfect that you can roll it out of the way when you want/need to.
    Just lovely!!
    Now, get out there and cook something..lol...and for heaven's sake....get some clutter on those counter tops!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love everything about it. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your kitchen looks great". What a clever idea to have a rolling island. Now that is smart....not only for company but for when litte ones want to run around in a circle! Looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow!!!!!!!!!! Awesome kithchen.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is beautiful. It will be such a pleasure to cook and bake this holiday season. Job well done.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh your new kitchen looks beautiful. I bet you want to spend more time in it now.
    Enjoy
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful! I'm going to remember your ceiling treatment if we ever get around to doing ours.

    And I think you need more cookbooks. Just a personal opinion, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! Those before pics remind me of my aunt's 1960's house with the old wood. And those ceilings - eek!

    Your new kitchen is fab! Congrats! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your new kitchen looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE IT! Congratulations on finally being done with the mess. That is trully a kitchen I could spend alot of time in cooking. We are house hunting and a updated kitchen is HIGH on my list ohh and a wine rack :)

    Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! Gorgeous. Definitely worth two months of whining!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Enjoy! Those two months of mess will be a distant memory soon. It always amazes me that with a bit of planning you can gain so much more space. Loving your wine rack..

    ReplyDelete
  29. LUV luv luv it! Those cabinets are fab-u-lous!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. OH, OH, OH! That's an absolutely huge and wonderful change. Congratulations! I would have to go in there several times a day to pet it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You must surely be enjoying every aspect of that gorgeous new kitchen!! I remember how thrilled I was when we redid our 60s kitchen. :)

    Now the bathrooms need some attention!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's beautiful Lee! So happy for you. Planning our kitchen redo now. Lots of work!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Chardonnaystitcher10:04 AM, December 11, 2011

    Love the work you did. It was really worth the inconvenience, wasn't It looks very cozy. My favorite spot is the one near the chair and wine rack!

    ReplyDelete