Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Where has it gone?

I can't find my blogging motivation.  I sure hope that one of you found it on your doorstep and now you're posting and stitching and taking pictures like a maniac.  I'd be very happy to know that it has found a good home, so if you have it, please let me know.

Sigh...

Anyways, I think it's interesting that almost all of the people who wrote or commented about their oldest charts or kits dated their answer to the early 80's, with one or two in the late 70's.  No one had anything older than that. 

I wonder where everyone was buying their needlework in those years.  Back then every Five and Dime had a little craft section.  You know - back when Five and Dimes existed, like Woolworths, Kresge's, Ben Franklin, Murphy's, and McCrory's, to name a few that I remember.  I even remember going to JCPenney's and buying a couple kits.  We could buy needlepoint, crewel embroidery, and stamped pillowcases, dishtowels and tablecloths in any one of those stores.  I don't remember many counted thread kits though.  Not until a Piece Goods store came to town in the mid-80's and my-oh-my, I thought I was in heaven.  I still have some of those Leisure Arts charts, which, by the way, is my answer to the SBQ.  My oldest chart is a bread cloth chart, bought in the early 80's.  I still love it.  I still love my bread cloths!  I've given away older ones, but I've always held on to the bread cloth charts.

Hey, does anyone remember the painted fabric kits for pillowcases and sheets, etc?  I remember that my mom and a set.  She had paint in tubes with roller balls - a lot like a ball point pen.  And she'd put her pillowcase in a hoop that had a solid center and she'd color over the X's.  That would have been in the 60's.  Does that ring a bell with anyone?

OK, enough of my trip down memory lane.  I have one lonely finish to show you - a gift for my walking buddy, who has a tuxedo cat.  She loved it.


From A Prairie Christmas, PS Book 10
Stitched with DMC on a scrap of unknown linen and backed with the fabric you see here.
Changed color of the kitty to black and gave him tuxedo markings.

Now it's time to decide if I should keep working on the Christmas stuff that I didn't finish in 2011, or put it away and give it a good effort next year.  I don't know...Christmas seems so DONE.  But I also need to feel like I've finished something. 
Decisions, decisions.  

25 comments:

  1. My first XS probably came from Ames or Kmart. We also had this amazing 5&10 that, surprising, is still there (Vidlers).

    I'd say move on from the Christmas stuff. The weather isn't wintery enough to keep working on the Christmas stuff. Find something springish that excites you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Woolworth's and Ben Franklins!
    Cute finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lee, I am so behind in blogging / posting pics etc but wanted to say hi and say how beautiful the tuxedo cat looks for your firend. Lovely! I have so many charts that I think some of the leisure arts ducks or paula vaughn quilt charts would be my oldest ones.
    Keep on stitchin'
    PS: I know I will finish 'Lo ' this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also had Grants, Niesners and J.M. Fields with craft sections. Handsome kitty, beautifully finished fellow:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say if you have a Christmas something that is close to being finished, go ahead and finish it. I had Dasher alllllmost finished before Christmas 2010, so I put off working on him, thinking it would be easy to finish him before Christmas 2011. I finished him on January 2nd this year. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful gift - so nicely finished !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do remember the good ole days when you could get all types of needlework kits everywhere. But I don't think counted x-stitch became popular til the late 70's/early 80's.

    My theory is that 2 things happened. Needlepoint was extremely popular up to that time. People started having less time to work on crafts and x-stitch didn't require you to fill in the background so you could finish quicker. Also, that was a time of very high inflation in the U.S. and the price of needlepoint yarn skyrocketed. X-stitch with DMC type floss was way less expensive.

    Love your little kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After seeing that pretty Cat Ornament, I have to go look up that chart!!! lol We had a TG & Y and woolworths that we purchased from.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the answer is to do what makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the color changes you've made in the cat, Lee. I just stitched this one for a Christmas gift myself, but used the original color scheme. That is perfect for a tuxedo cat owner :)

    It's funny how charts have changed over the years. Remember when all you could find were geese, teddy bears, and quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember those liquid embroidery sets. My Mom did pillowcases, and tablecloths I know. Ha. I had forgotten about them until I read your post.

    I miss Walmart carrying DMC. It was so easy to run in there and get the skeins you had run out of...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your ornament Lee! A sweet finish :)
    I'm still working on Christmas for next year! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lee Wards! We used to get a lot of craft supplies there. I still have to get to your question.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful finish, I am sure that your friend was thrilled.
    Hope the stitching/blogging mojo is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you find your mojo! Your tuxedo cat ornament is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. VERY cute finish! I've always had a weakness for tuxedo kitties.
    My first cross stitched piece was bought at Bieter's in Sunbury, PA. It was a stamped sampler that now hangs in my son's home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eh, give up the Christmas stitching and move onto those new patterns that you are dying to do! btw - cute kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, gosh! Thanks to Anna, I'm having a Lee Wards flashback. I now remember exactly where it was and going there with my mom. The first actual needlework shop I ever went to was in the 80's. Before Lee Wards, back when I was embroidering pillowcases and then flowers on my bell-bottomed jeans in the early 70's (yep, kids, I'm old), we went to the dime store.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Blogging Motivation ran off with mine and they're blithely skipping along somewhere...Lovely finish!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh, I remember those McCrory days too! Working in McCrory's was my first job.. I remember those days in the fabric department folding and re-folding all day long!
    That tuxedo cat is the cutest!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a lovely little finish.
    I started stitching in the 90s and XS supplies and charts were hard to get here in Germany - no shops and no onternet. But fortunately there was a distributor for American cross stitch charts and I ordered my first charts from her - some Prairie Schooler charts. I was so happy - and lucky because they are all OOP now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lee! I vote for you to start something new...always cures the "stitching blahs" for me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely gift!

    My Mom made christmas stockings for us using those roller paint pens. I think she may have started a tablecloth too. The Herrshners (sp?) catalog still carries those paint pens if you need another distraction.

    I say pick up whatever makes you happy. This is supposed to be enjoyable not another thing to feel guilty about.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was a Tri-Chem demonstrator in the 80's and it was with those ball point pens that were paint. We did home parties and it was a lot of fun. Wow, you brought back memories.

    ReplyDelete