Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I barely precede the invention of the microchip

Last month I saw another birthday go by. Dave and I celebrated quietly, by going to one of my favorite Italian restaurants and ordering my newly favorite dish, linguine with white clam sauce. So good!

Sometimes I'm bowled over to think that I'm in my 50's.  Really.  When did this happen?   How is it that we go through life thinking that nothing much has changed, when in fact the changes we've seen are crazy-huge.  I say this because I went to one of those websites - the ones that tell you about life in the year you were born. If I just look at the financial aspects?  Well, hold on to your hats...

Average Cost of new house $12,750.00
Average Monthly Rent $92.00
Average Yearly Wages $4.600.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 25 cents

And because this is a blog and requires computers and microchips, I'll tell you that in the year I was born, the Microchip co-invented by Jack Kilby of Texas Instruments and Robert Noyce of Fairchild Semiconductors.

It's also the year that Wham-O introduced its hula-hoop, which was equally important to your average kid growing up in the 60's.  I loved my ShoopShoop Hula Hoop.

OK, back to today.  Besides counting my years this year, I'm also counting my lucky stars that I have such kind and talented stitching friends.  This lovely pincushion arrived from my friend Linda, who is both an online and in-person friend.  Online, because we met online through blogs, and in person because she lives near enough that we can get together for a stitching day several times each year. 

I love this color combo!

And I love the backing fabric Linda chose.  It's totally me.
You know, I almost hate to put this out where my husband can see it, because he always accuses me of losing needles.  Every now and then when he's on the floor, he'll feel a pinch and that'll be followed by at least 30 minutes of him feeling around on the carpet and insisting that I've dropped a needle near his hand, foot or butt.  I keep telling him that would be impossible.  So I'm going to keep this little gem of a pincushion a secret from him so that it doesn't confirm his suspicions....It'll go in my stitching bag to be used only around other stitchers.  Because they realize that runaway needles are just a fact of life, not a cause for such commotion!

Thank you everyone, for your nice thoughts about my mother-in-law.  As always, I appreciated every comment and consolation. 

17 comments:

  1. Happy belated stitchy birthday, hope the next few are very good to you:) Lovely pinkeep gift, and yes-backing fabric is really quite nice, springy, mod and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 50th, Lee! Sounds like you had a grand birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday! That is a lovely pincushion too... do you know who the designer is?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Lee! Lovely gift from Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! It is interesting to see what was going on in your birth year, and very interesting to see the cost of different things. :) What a pretty gift from Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sometimes very surprised when I realize I'm going to be 53 this summer. My MOM is 52, right? Not me!! I love, love, love your pin cushion and the backing fabric is adorable. What a darling gift!

    Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darn, Lee--I missed your birthday. You and about three others...I'm afraid my mind is just elsewhere these days... Hope it was a special day for you. Wow! Linda's gift is adorable--really, really special (just like you and Linda!!)..

    Speaking of hula-hoops--have you ever heard of hula hoop classes? I ran into an old friend who said she is teaching them now and has lost 70 pounds! Who knew! Happy Belated Birthday, dear friend...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday!! Isn't it amazing all the things that have gone on in the years that we've lived. When I was little, black and white TV was all we had (and my kids are mortified at the thought of that).

    Such a pretty pillow, and that backing fabric is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! Interesting look back to the year you were born. So many things have changed over the years and there are so many advantages that we have now. I do think some of the old fashioned things that technology has replaced were good though - like letters in the mail.

    The pincushion that Linda sent you is gorgeous and the backing fabric couldn't be any more perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll be celebrating 52 next month, so all your facts are in my age group! Lovely gift you received.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy, happy birthday! Being 50 is a good thing. I've liked it ... mostly.

    The most difficult part about being in my 50's is that my brain insists, against all reason and despite the evidence in the mirror, that I must still be 30-something. My only tip to you: don't try a cartwheel (unless you've been doing them since your 20's). I did and I was sorry for days. And days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Belated Birthday, Lee! What a lovely pin cushion from Linda. Linguine with white clam sauce is one of my faves too, I think that will be what's for dinner! :)
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Belated Birthday!! It is amazing the way the world has changed.
    What a wonderful pincushion, fabulous colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy belated birthday! You in your 50's - nah?!?! Maybe 31 but never in your 50's!

    Love the color on your gift - it's gorgeous.

    And seriously - let's NOT talk about the changes to the world since we've been in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated birthday! I wish you a wonderful year with lots of love and friendship. You know 'life begins at 50': finally we're old and wise enough to do only the things we want to and still have the energy to do them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy belated birthday!!
    Giggled about your hubby! Love the gift you received!

    ReplyDelete