Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Hey You Guys!

OK, to clarify my pet "you guys" peeve, I honestly don't mind if a friend is talking and calls a group of us "you guys".  It's casual conversation so it's ok, but It's entirely different than a business or formal interaction.  For me, anyway. 

And because I'm feeling persnickety, I wish that people in the service industry would stop saying, "Not a problem" when you ask them for something.   SO annoying.  It makes me want to keep asking them things until they finally say, "Well...oh my.  That is a problem."  What's wrong with simply saying "yes"?   Or "certainly".  Heck, one time a waiter in Miami said, "Si senora" to me and I almost melted with joy!  I wouldn't go so far as to insist on the Chick-fil-A mantra "It's my pleasure", but even that's infinitely better than "Not a problem".

While I still don't have anything to show you from the weekend's class, I can share a link with you.  Donna over at Needleworker Not in Paradise took the same class in 2010.  Here's her finish.  And now that I'm looking more closely at Donna's version, I see how she added some personalization using two initials, simply by twisting them together.  Way to go Donna!  Only room for one initial?  Feh!  Donna solved that problem!  So you can see the beautiful stitching in my future!


11 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the "No problem" - I had a coworker who endlessly answered with that phrase, most often to something that WAS a problem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how such small things can really great on a person and how each of use has our own collection of these little irritations. Try a glass of wine... you'll stop worrying about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your post yesterday and couldn't agree with you more regarding "you guys." In our office, our leadership team is all women. The general manager is a man and in meetings and on conference calls he always refers to us as "you guys." Drives me insane.

    I work in the customer service industry and as part of our training we ask our team members to avoid the words "no problem" -- it implies that there was a problem and often times that is not the case. Many of them have replaced those words with "it's my pleasure." Sounds much nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you about the "you guys" thing. I especially hate "OMG, you guys!" when someone is excited about something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in agreement with the "you guys". And I also get totally annoyed when the server says "are WE ready to order?". We aren't ordering, I am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in agreement with the "you guys". And I also get totally annoyed when the server says "are WE ready to order?". We aren't ordering, I am.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find myself saying no problem at work though I hope I say it less than some of my coworkers. I have to respond to customers hundreds a time a day so sometimes it's just mindless. What I say really depends on the interaction. If the customer thinks it was a problem and is very apologetic I may say no problem. I never say "it was my pleasure." That would be just a little too fake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so funny, Lee, because when I read your post about "you guys" I thought to myself, that doesn't really bother me at all--what gets to me is when people are thanked and they say "no problem!" And here you are writing about that very phrase!

    I think the "you guys" thing doesn't bother me because I am usually surrounded by all my sons and husband when we go out and am just "one of the guys!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. As Eyeore says, thanks for noticing me.

    Love and Live Happy is such a favorite of mine. It was the first class I took with Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, better than 'you chaps' lol! I use it a lot (not in a work situation though) and get laughed at for being too American , of course! The no problem one is the one that sets me off, hate it! Another over here is 'Bear with me a moment' instead of Could you hold or I will just be a moment while I find the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. *tee-hee*

    I read this post before our vacation. We were all at a restaurant this past week and had one of "those" waitresses and couldn't help but think of you.

    ReplyDelete