Sunday, September 30, 2012

Halloween smalls

One of the (many) nice things about my stitching friends is that they make me think out of my box.  I'm a terrible stick-in-the-mud about most things.  Trying something new is not in my DNA.

For instance, Dave and I are terrible travelers.  Oh...we love the idea of travel, but whenever we get to our destination, we'll usually complain about it for the first 24-48 hours.  After that we settle in and we get happy again and the rest of our vacation is wonderful.  But that initial jolt of newness?  It's not pretty. Fellow travelers would probably refer to us as Mr. and Mrs. Crankypants.   And this definitely has a lot to do with our decision to buy a camper.  That initial uncomfortable jolt is softened because we haul our own familiar stuff behind us.  Yes.  We're crazy.

But back to the real topic of the day.  Halloween smalls!  I've been doing a year-long kit exchange with the Kansas girls, and September's theme was Halloween.  For years now, as Halloween has built up in popularity, my constant refrain has been, "I don't really like Halloween.  I don't like Halloween stitching.  It's just not for me."  But Halloween was our September theme and as September rolled around, I knew I needed to find something to create for a kit.  Luckily, I was able to borrow the JCS Halloween issue from my bud Linda, so here's the ornie I chose to stitch up, kit and send to my KS ladies.
"Boo" from 2012 JCS Halloween issue, on PTP Crystal Dawn 32ct. linen


Cute, huh? And so much fun to stitch!  Maybe I DO like Halloween.  At least in small doses.  So I decided to keep moving forward and stitch one of the kits I received.  My friend Sue had even included that funky trim.  And what to do you know?  It was delightful!

 

2010 Lizzie Kate design, stitched on brown linen with recommended threads.
Finished with a 4X4 Styrofoam cube.
(It's straighter in real life.  It's my deck railing that's crooked...)

I have another two kits to stitch and then maybe I'll have a real Halloween collection.  Go figure!

8 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean, that's one of the reasons we bought our caravan. It's so comforting having all your familiar things with you - it's like "home from home".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to hear more about the camper!

    You might ended up liking Halloween or at least liking a cute basket of Halloween smalls. The fabric you chose is perfect for the piece you kitted up for everyone and the Halloween cube is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone secretly likes Halloween even if they don't openly say so. That said, NICE stitching!! As for me, I am a lover of all things Halloween. I think in part because it's a sign that Thanksgiving and Christmas are almost here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute stitches and finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finish! Halloween just may grow on you.

    ReplyDelete