Monday, September 24, 2012

If there is ever a good time to jump-start a blog,

I guess this is it.  My poor blog was sitting in the blog storage garage and dying bit by bit as each day went by, but today I'm dusting off my blog jumper cables (and hoping that I have them attached correctly).  Let's see if I can get this thing started!

So.  I'm just back from an ultra fun girls' weekend at Deep Creek Lake in Maryland.  Seventeen of us shared a fantastic 8 bedroom house with a lovely water view, a giant deck,ample space to walk and plenty of parking. But you're not really interested in that stuff, are you?  I'll bet you just want to hear about the food and the stitching.

This group likes to do its own cooking, so we each took a meal assignment and of course we all brought snacks.  It's the honest-to-God-truth to tell you that the food was to die for.  These girls can cook!  And do I need to say it was plentiful?  And the fall weather was perfect for outdoor eating.  Isn't there something delicious about being outside and eating food that has been prepared by someone else?

As for the stitching, I think that everyone felt pretty comfortable as they settled into their stitching nests on Friday night.  The house had a big sectional sofa, a couple comfy chairs, a big dining room table and a smaller side table.  And although all seventeen of us kind of had a "home base", we moved around a bit, too.

We had a variety of stitching themes going on, including samplers and Christmas and Fall and baby gifts.  We had one finish (that I know of) - it was Deb, who also had a finish at our last retreat.

(I lifted this pic from Facebook, but I don't think Colleen will mind!)
I worked steadily on my Moira Blackburn sampler.  I managed to finish a tree and I started building a house. 



And I'll tell ya, this group got along marvelously well through the weekend.  There was minimal drama, except maybe the Thermostat Wars.  But that's normal in a group of women in our age range.  One gets too cold and turns the thermostat up, then one gets too hot and turns the thermostat down.  So the thermostat got a good workout.  There weren't any TV issues, because I believe they settled all of that before the retreat.  And that was a good idea, because I've seen a TV-watching meltdown once before and let me tell you....it ain't pretty.

We even got to watch a wedding happening across the lake on Saturday.  I hope the bride and groom didn't think we were nuts, but as soon as one of the ladies yelled "Hey look!  There's the bride!", we all ran out on our deck to watch.  There's something about a wedding that you just HAVE to go watch.  So we were quietly oooohing and aaaaaahing as they posed for the photographer, but then when they finished we burst into clapping and waving and cheering.  I think we gave them a laugh, because they all waved back.  What bride doesn't need a cheering group of strangers intruding on her wedding photos? We were happy to fulfill that need.

Her gown was lovely and her bridesmaid dresses were perfect for a fall wedding.  Black and white and simple and I'll bet that worked perfectly in the colorful autumn setting.  Otherwise I would have had to go over there and give them some formal dress advice.  

In family news, we took our camper out on its first real trip earlier in September and it was absolutely wonderful.  But I'll save that story for another day.



16 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun. It's nice to have a break from time to time, it's what keeps us "fresh".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work,
    liebe Grüße Grit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful, fun time you all had! Your sampler is coming along nicely! Deb's finish is pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so jealous of stitching weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. DCL is the perfect place for a stitching weekend, I need to figure out when we're going again! So glad you had a good time.

    Your sampler looks lovely, perfect for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colors on that sampler...which one is it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back! Your DCL retreat sounds marvelous. Let me know if you need a SBQ for Monday (anything to help the jump start).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wondered where you've been - out camping and retreating! Should have known! Sound like you had a good time and survived both - glad you came back to us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been on a stitching retreat but done many many quilting ones so I know the routine :). It's so lovely to be able to just sit and do what you love without a lot of interruptions. Your sampler is coming along and very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back! Sounds like your retreat was fabulous - your sampler looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of these days I must attend a retreat... sounds like you all had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back Lee! It sounds like you had a great stitching retreat. I love your sampler progress.
    And yes, when there is a wedding, you did need to watch.
    Wishing you many more wonderful trips in your camper!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to have you back. I've missed your blog.

    JHM
    http://needleworkerssamplings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! You're back--I've missed you!! Glad to hear the inaugural camper trip went well and that you had fun at the stitching weekend. (Not sure about doing your own cooking, though...)

    Your sampler is looking so pretty, Lee--love all the little sheep in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you had a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know abou the dying blog thing...a constant struggle for me since the kids were born. hope you keep it up

    ReplyDelete