Monday, October 08, 2012

Some more fall stitching

Last year I decided that La D Da's Pumpkins Three would make a good car project during our fall road trips to College of Wooster cross country meets.  So I stitched it for a while, then XC season ended and this sweet little design never found its way out of the bag again.

To be honest, it was a project I grabbed last year and threw into a bag without much preparation.  I wanted some larger count fabric and I had some 28ct. white linen, and I had a couple skeins of DMC variegated floss and I figured I was good to go.  Even though later on I wasn't really crazy about my fabric and thread choices, the design was still nice enough that I picked it up again this year and kept at it.  And I finished it yesterday - a perfectly dreary afternoon with lots of football to keep me company.

Except I still wasn't in love with the color.
 

So I decided to experiment, and I gave the whole thing a bath in water that I had boiled with onion skins. (thanks Pinterest!)  I like these colors much better.  It's hard to see in my photos, but that stark whiteness is gone and it toned down the DMC a little, too.



Earlier in the week I had finished stitching another Halloween kit, too.  Here it is, ready to be made into something - either a flat fold or a pinkeep style ornament. 

So I guess it's time to find another car project.  Because we're still driving around Ohio, watching this girl run on several Saturdays.  I marvel that she's coming to the end of her college cross country career...  Dave and I couldn't be more proud. 

Atta girl, Colleen!




20 comments:

  1. Love your new finishes, those pumpkins are great! Love the variegated color, that is a dmc??
    It is great to see all the autumn designs done. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooOoo! Such muscles.
    I really like the pumpkin pattern. It turned out just perfect. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the stitching. It has been ages since I used onions skins...must do it again. It turned out nice for you project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see the difference in the two...it's subtle but significant. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea to lightly stain the whole project! Looks great. :)

    It's so hard to believe this is Colleen's last xc season. Enjoy the last few meets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the effect of the onion-skin bath!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice pumpkins. Great job on them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice finishes! Love how the pumpkin piece came out after the bath, really changed the look of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both your pieces looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, is that Halloween bird cute, Lee!! I love his "mask!" And your onion bath made a world of difference--the piece looks much more "fallish" now :)

    Yay for Colleen--I'm sure you're very proud of her for sticking with her running. And what great parents you are for going to so many meets!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the car projects! I like the idea of the onion bath and will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The onions skins did great! It really toned it down! So pretty! So is your daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the pumpkins! I like the difference the onion skins made.
    The other finish is sweet too.
    Go Colleen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Pumpkins turned out great!
    Great photo of your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay!!!! The pumpkins turned out great!!!! Love the bird, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea with the dye! It was pretty before, but now it's extra special.
    Good luck to Colleen!

    ReplyDelete
  17. She's coming to the end of her college career?? Wasn't I just hand-holding with you over the whole English major thing???? Where does the time go?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Also, love what you did with overdying that project!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very clever fix for your linen/thread color change. I wouldn't have thought of that! Thanks for sharing the idea. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete