Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Built the house!

I spent last weekend building the house on my anniversary sampler.



I thought this would go quickly, but houses are SO full of stitches!  For real, right?  I didn't have terribly far to go, because here's where I left off the before the weekend:


And yet I was pushing to finish it after almost two days of solid stitch time!  Luckily, I was in a room full of stitching buddies over the weekend and they kept me on task, so I was able to finish it Saturday afternoon.  (And when I say keep me on task, I mean that I was too embarrassed to give up and work on another project.  There would have been witnesses to my defeat, and I can't have that.)

So why did that house feel like it took so long to stitch?  Well, I decided to calculate time and stitches, starting with a total of 2, 276 stitches in that house.  Now, if I'm JUST creating cross stitches, I average about 5 complete cross stitches per minute.  (Yes, I timed myself) So if I had unending lengths of thread and stitched solidly with no breaks, that number of stitches would take me 7 hours and 40 minutes.

But of course, we must include pauses for tucking threads, starting threads, cutting threads, threading needles, unwinding floss, untangling floss, counting and recounting.  So to be on the safe side, let's add another 2 hours for all the stitching related activity that isn't actual putting thread onto fabric.  And even that 's probably a low estimate, because we all know that a tangled skein of DMC can take up a serious chunk of time...

And there you have it.  Conservatively, almost 10 hours of stitching went into a medium sized house.  Now, if you are like me, you must add in the time spent of getting up for snacks, walking around the room and admiring your buddies' work, catching up on everyone's families and jobs, grazing at the snack table AGAIN, texting, looking up useless trivia online,  gossiping about shops and bloggers, bathroom breaks, having more snacks on your way back from the bathroom, stretching your legs for a nice long, cold walk...and then you need another snack.  So - time sure flies!

And now that I think about it, it's downright amazing that I finished that house!  There.  Now I feel much better.


18 comments:

  1. I loved this sampler the first time I seen it..I have had it ordered for over two weeks.I hope to get it this week..Can't wait to start it..I too will be stitching mine as an anniversary sampler but it won't be stitched before March 5 so it will be a late gift to my husband and myself..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful.

    Grit from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I too have taken the time before to figure it all out, and it is amazing. But we love it right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have me laughing. I, too, do the math thing when I'm stitching. Sometimes I'm amazed I finish anything at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! And the colors in that sampler are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your perseverance! I love the colors in this sampler.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work! I love the sampler and like you, am always amazed at how long something actually takes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm probably a lot slower than you, but that makes me feel a lot better too! Thanks!! So lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Contrats on your house construction - it looks as though it will stand for decades! Isn't it funny how we take something and "think it to death". I sometimes find myself thinking I hate stitching large blocks of color, I hate stitching borders, I hate stitching alphabets, I hate stitching things with lots of color changes - then what is left to love?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Makes no difference how long it takes as long as you were having fun and made progress...and that you did! It's a lovely piece!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Building a house in a mere 10 hours is no mean fete - I think, btw, that you should patent the formula for calculating spm (stitches per minute). Not to be confused with sph (snacks per hour). Lol, I`m so glad it`s not just me! I`d probably have gone on to calculate how many minutes I`d spent calculating all this...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great progress on your anniversary sampler! Houses take for-ev-er! You got yours done quick per my standards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The house looks great as does the whole sampler.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. The house looks great great but the border is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I still love this sampler. I finished this one quite sometime ago, and it resides in my dining room. I love the colors. I have several projects, that I sometimes wonder, it I will ever finish them, because of the detail. Several years ago, I did a Victorian House full of cats,for my sister. It took me a year to finish it. I took it everywhere with me. Not only was most of the fabric covered with stitches, but...it also was outlined everywhere in black.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm always amazed at how long houses take to build on fabric, too, Lee. They are deceptively simple looking, but all solid stitching! Your sampler is looking great--glad you stuck with it and got it done :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha ha ha! I can totally relate. I am easily distracted when I stitch, so in my head, I think, "Oh, easy peasy. I can knock this out in no time. it's just a bunch of solid colored stitches in a row". I stitch much faster in my head than I do in reality.

    ReplyDelete