Thursday, February 07, 2013

Moira and Me

I love this sampler.  Love, love, love it.
Moira Blackburn's Scottish Love Sampler
The colors are so much fun!  I love the bright hues.  They're way different than the palette I usually stitch with.  I didn't realize it when I took this picture, but look at my table runner in the background.  It's something I bought recently and it's bright, so obviously my tastes are changing. For like, the millionth time.

Border close up
So, just to remind you, this is a sampler for our anniversary and just under the alphabet it will say: "And I will love thee still".  I'll stitch that in its proper place if I still like Dave by the end of this sampler.  Or I could rechart it to say: "I haven't killed you yet", which would also mean that I still like him.  But if he's really on my nerves, I may stitch: "Sleep with one eye open".

(Dave knows I'm just kidding.  He's the best.  Really.  The guy's a prince )

This is a busy time of year for me, as it is for anyone in the bookkeeping or accounting field.  But I'm pretty fortunate because 9 months out of the year my schedule is super flexible.  I'd be a total wimp if I couldn't deal with three months of inflexible work.

But still, my mind wanders as I work. Like, I think about wanting Moira Blackburn to give me her cell phone number so I could text her every day when things pop into my head.  I would ask her to design samplers for all of my whims and needs.

(But then I'd probably end up on Judge Judy as the defendant in a stalking case.)

My mind wanders to samplers I want to stitch and bloggers I want to read and friends I want to stitch with.  I think of road trips I want to take and shops I want to visit.  I think of storage options for my beautiful stash and ways to organize and reorganize it.

And then I have to scream at myself, "GET BACK TO WORK!"

Hey...that would make a good sampler saying.  I could stitch it and put it by the computer monitor......Oh Good God.  It's hopeless.

I hope you all are having a more self-disciplined day than I am.


21 comments:

  1. It is beautiful, and on my 'watch for this' list. And nope - no self discipline here! Here I am, reading, commenting, and wishing I were home with Mary Gibson!

    ReplyDelete

  2. Lee, you are too funny! My mind wanders a bit too much at work lately too. Although I can't say I've ever thought about calling Moira Blackburn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lee, those colors ARE gorgeous! I don't blame you one bit for being obsessed. And yes, I too plot out stitching at work...or wonder how much that pattern costs, and hey is it on eBay? Maybe I should go check...oooh, maybe there is some cheap fabric somewhere. I should look. Crap. Back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got the 'Busy Mind' thing going on there Lee! I think your current sampler is lovely and the colors - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sampler is looking very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty sampler! The colors are gorgeous and so funny that they match your tablerunner perfectly. Hope work isn't too crazy and allows for some stitching here and there...

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha - love the sampler, and belly-laughed over your possible revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are too funny ~ looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too love the colors in this sampler. I look forward to seeing the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lee, I sooo feel your pain! I also have dreams of how I'd like to decorate my office with my stitching, because I'd be surrounded by work that I love. Then I wake up and realize my "office" is a foam-walled cubicle decorated with stacks of paper, sticky notes and 4 beat up file cabinets. It's enough to make me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Moira Blackburn samplers and the colors in this one are just gorgeous!it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's beautiful. And isn't it wonderful to enjoy a piece so much that you can't wait to get to it every day?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wiping my eyes here, thank you for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty, love that border. CJ in OK

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that is a striking piece! I love the colours. Count me as another who spends a lot of (maybe too much?) time at work thinking about stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE this sampler and have just put off buying it..well today I am going to order it and the fabric..I too love the bright colors..Really enjoyed reading your blog this morning..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Progress, and wonderful colors. Dave sounds great.
    Now I have to go to work :( LOL
    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I chuckled at the various options for the sampler! Can't wait to see what it will say (better behave, Dave!) lol.

    It's such a pretty sampler - just love that floral border.

    Now, do get back to work! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Moira Blackburn is one of my favourite designers. I stitched her Three Things Sampler and have Time and Season Sampler kitted up, but I don't know when I'll start it. Maybe soon.
    The colours in the sampler you stitch are just gorgeous! And you just made me curious of what saying it will finally be,LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful sampler ! I had not heard of Moira Blackburn and I had to visit her website. No need to tell you that I've just ordered two of her sampler charts. I loved them !

    ReplyDelete
  21. I already did this Moira Blackburn sampler. It hangs in my dining room. The colors are wonderful. In addition, I have already completed Moira's "Three Things" I also purchased several more of her patterns to work on "eventually." There is something about her patterns that speak to me.

    ReplyDelete