Tuesday, November 05, 2013

No, no, NO!

It's not Christmas yet!   It's still.....FALL!

From PS "October".  Finished the stitching during my stay in Erie.
My around-the-corner-neighbors, Jack and Elaine, have already put Christmas decorations on their lawn.  There's a train and a stable scene and a Ferris wheel and all kinds of other cute things that I like to see when I go for an evening walk  IN DECEMBER.    But really....on the lawn by November 2?

They have always been early.  Both of them were school teachers and so they had lots of miscellaneous school days off in the fall, meaning they had more time to get that sort of household thing done. Much more time than those of us in retail.    And now they're both retired, so I foresee the decorations coming out earlier and earlier.

Jack and Elaine at breakfast on July 5

Jack:  Well, that was a rousing fireworks display last night!  I guess it's time to put away the firecrackers and Roman Candles.

Elaine:  And while you're up in the garage attic, you had better bring down Santa and the Baby Jesus!  You can never get them on the lawn too soon.

End Scene

Now listen....this angst I'm expressing absolutely does NOT apply to needlecraft bloggers!  We know that our art is more involved than testing light bulbs and laying extension cords, so post away at any time with your pics of holiday and winter stitching, sewing, quilting, knitting or whatever needlecraft floats your boat.

Just keep the lawn decorations in the house for a little while longer!

19 comments:

  1. LOL I'm with you. And, thanks so much for the chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!!! Christmas isn't official until Santa shows his face at the end of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have thought they would be more timely now that they are retired. I have bought one Christmas gift but wouldn't even think of laying out a decoration until Thanksgiving (and more often it's December). Agree that stitching is the exception!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree this is too early for exterior illumination and such! I think the field is open after Thanksgiving but not before...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't put up decorations until my BIL comes over in mid-December and says, "WTF where are your decorations?" Then he goes to the basement and brings up all the boxes. I sort through them while he, my sister, and my cousin's family put them up. Clever, right? They still bitch because I don't have any outdoor decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL I just told Hubby tonight that he should put the Christmas lights up this weekend because the weather is supposed to be in the 50's. However, we wouldn't be turning them on until after Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh! In my world Thanksgiving is the holiday celebrated after Halloween--I love fall and Thanksgiving and no Christmas decorations go up until after Thabksiving

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way too soon for Christmas lawn displays!! Nothing gets decorated in our house until after Thanksgiving, although my husband has been buying outdoor lights since he says they won't be available in December.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol! great post - i have the same problem here in Taiwan many retail shops have already started decorating in xmas theme although i must admit to have started my xmas stitching, just hoping to have them done in time to display ; )

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is way too early!! Have they started wearing scary Christmas sweaters too?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your PS finish. Love the fall colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Weellll...depending on where you live it is easier to put up the outdoor Xmas decor before it gets too cold and the snow starts flying! We will put ours out this weekend but it won't be lit up until the day after Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so agree with you.

    We were at the mall on Halloween so that the little man could get a small gift from the Lego store. And, the mall was already had a bunch of Christmas decorations out in the hallways just waiting to go up. We were there again last night (more Lego!), and most of the decorations were up. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great PS finish and so appropriate for the season! I do wish the stores wouldn't push the seasons so much let alone the neighbors! It seems to get worse every year with all the Black Friday hoopla etc. Around here you can't hardly buy a sweater for Christmas because they're practically putting the spring clothes out already in December!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Christmas decorations?? in NOVEMBER?! for the love of God, go to their place with a stupid excuse and see if they're missing a page in their kitchen calendar!
    I cannot stand shop windows early dressed up for xmas, puffy Santas on every shelf when we're still feasting on autumn's treats.. have a reindeer merry-go-round under my eyes every day would be far too much!
    of course stitchwise we HAVE to start Christmas stuff in July, but that's a completly different story ;)
    hugs and happy xxx,
    chiara

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well mine will go out soon also, on a warmish day. But I won't turn them on until the day after Thanksgiving. When I was a kid we visited our grandparents that did not live in our state on Thanksgiving and that is when we had our Christmas with them. So they had all the stuff out early early because of that. Do they have the stuff on already?

    ReplyDelete