Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Every year...a Valentine!

(If you are following the Smalls SAL, you may have seen this post already.  I kept it hidden from my front blog page until my daughter received her gift in the mail)

If you've been reading here for a while, you know that ever since Colleen went away to college, I've sent her a stitched Valentine. My first Valentine was very Valentine-y, but then you'll see that I went with designs that could be out year-round.  I'd choose something with a heart theme, though.



And now this year - well, she's a college graduate, starting a grown-up life out in Colorado and more or less on her own.  So I decided this year maybe she needed a Valentine more than ever.  (Or maybe I just needed to send her a Valentine more than ever.  That may be closer to the truth.)

Anyways, this arrived in Colorado yesterday and...Yep.  She liked it.  The design is by My Big Toe and was published in the 2011 JCS Christmas Ornament issue.  Back before Christmas, another blogger had stitched it and I knew right away that all it needed was a bit of recoloring to make a perfect Valentine.  So right away I typed it into Evernote so I'd remember it when February rolled around.

FYI - it's not very small if you stitch it over 2.  If you want it small, either use 40 ct fabric or stitch it over one.


I have to tell you, ever since I found out about Evernote, I'm a whole new woman.  I don't know if it's that I'm getting older or that there is SO MUCH MORE to remember, but let me tell you...that tiny little app is a tremendous help to me.

I write everything from grocery lists to sampler sayings I want to remember.  From lists of books I want from the library to a list of the quantity of food I ordered for a holiday luncheon.   I list charts that I'm getting ready to stitch and I make a list of the supplies I need to buy before I get started.  LOVE.  IT.

Maybe some of you have a favorite smart phone app.  Why not tell us about it in your blog?

16 comments:

  1. Love the Valentine you stitched for your daughter, Lee! What floss colors did you use?

    Hope you are staying warm! Are you in the path of the storm coming up the coast?

    Robin in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to your annual Valentine to your daughter. Such a special tradition!

    How is Evernote different than other Notes apps? I can make "notes" on an iphone app. I think I'm missing a key feature of Evernote because I've heard so many good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea and this years Valentine is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful, loving thing to do for your daughter. This one is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful Valentine you have stitched! I love it!! I will have to go looking to see if I have that issue of JCS Ornament Issue.

    I'm sure your daughter loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet that you are keeping this tradition. Sometimes I think the kids won't appreciate these things 'till they are older (and when we are older). Do you get that feeling as well?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely valentine's piece. Your daughter is lucky to have such a thoughtful mom.

    I want to love Evernote. But I was in love with Catch, then they decided to end that app. I miss my color coded folders:-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely valentine's piece. Your daughter is lucky to have such a thoughtful mom.

    I want to love Evernote. But I was in love with Catch, then they decided to end that app. I miss my color coded folders:-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lee, I love what you stitched for your daughter this year. It is a wonderful tradition you've started!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful addition to Colleen's Valentine's Day collection, Lee. Hope she's enjoying life in Colorado.

    I had never heard of Evernote, but will definitely check it out--maybe it will make a "whole new woman" out of me, too! Ha ha :) Enjoy your day in the snow...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Valentine's for your daughter are just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely stitched piece for your daughter. It looks so different just changing the thread colour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're never too old for a little bit of handmade love from Mom. :-)

    I have that My Big Toe one kitted up to stitch with white and pink on black fabric. I need to get around to it.

    And I need to get on the Evernote app. I've heard so many good things about it, and I even picked up Evernote for Dummies from the library to learn how to use it more efficiently. Thanks for the kick in the pants.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely idea! All the pieces are lovely but this year's is perfect! I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete