Friday, February 07, 2014

Three Christmases Ago

That's how long ago I started this sampler.  I'd work on it through the holidays and maybe I'd continue into January, but I have to be in the mood to stitch Christmas things. And by February my mind turns to Spring and bunnies and pretty pastels and Easter eggs and anything that's NOT Christmas!  Well, this year it's finished!  And even though I only worked on it seasonally, I really enjoyed stitching it.




Hey...I've been meaning to tell you all about a weekend Dave and I spent in Bedford PA last fall. (See what happens when you don't write in your blog for a long time?  You forget the good stuff you've done!)

You might remember that I told you my husband recently started working as a floating pharmacist for a Very Big Chain Store, and sometimes they get into dire straits and need someone to work in a store rather far away from us.  Meaning that it requires a hotel stay for a night or two.  So in the fall, they asked Dave to work in Bedford PA.  He agreed to go, and then we Googled the town and decided to make a getaway of it.

I dropped Dave off early on Saturday morning and then spent the day wandering around downtown Bedford, where I was SO pleasantly surprised to find lots of great antique shops and small boutiques and cafes.  Now ladies, if you know me in person, you know that I am NOT a shopper.  I'll do anything to avoid going shopping, (unless it's for needlework supplies, then lock me in and throw away the key).  So when I tell you that I spent hours in Founders Crossing...you know it had to be good!


I was delighted to find a bunch of paper needle books - My dad used to keep one with his Navy uniform and bag for when he'd go away on his trip with the Reserves each year.  His had airplanes on it.  Anyways - I gave all the needle books away as gifts, but I kept one for myself.



I also found a handful of glass "frogs" and a couple pretty teacups to set them in to make a lovely scissor display (I gave all those away, too).  I also found some Jewel Tea pieces...they always remind me of my mother-in-law so I keep my eyes open for nice pieces to add to the small collection I inherited from her.  I found a couple Jewel Tea custard cups, and I was so pleased to see how my scissor frog nestled in. It makes me happy just to look at it!



Then I wound my way to one of the two quilt shops on the same street.  Unique Stitches Quilt Shop is a very nice, very new little shop, with everything you'd expect to find in such a place.  And about three blocks away, there is another very interesting shop called Mary's Quilt Shop, home to Mary Koval's Antique Quilts.  What a very cool place!  If you're looking for antique fabrics, it's THE place to go.

And not only that...Mary's Quilt Shop also has a wonderful retreat center just above the shop...perfect of quilters or stitchers or knitters. One of the ladies took me upstairs to view the space and let me tell you...it was wonderful.  The bedrooms were lovely, most having twin beds. (So ladies...you don't have to share beds)  The living area was cozy and the kitchen/dining area was bright and beautiful.  And the lower level had one of those rooms with a huge table for pressing or assembling quilts of any size.  The rates were reasonable.  I think it was $75 per bed per night.  So if anyone is thinking of planning a stitching retreat - Mary's is an excellent option to keep in mind.

Bedford is home of the Omni Bedford Springs Resort , and it's gorgeous and fascinating and historic and way beyond our budget for a one night stay..but it costs nothing to go there and wander around.

Which we did.


Instead, we stayed in a wonderful little Bed and Breakfast in the heart of town, The Golden Eagle Inn. Our host was wonderful, our room was warm and cozy and the breakfast was perfect!

The owner has great photos of the interior on his website, so visit there if you want to know more!

We also had a great meal across the street at a tiny little bistro-style restaurant called 10/09 Kitchen, because we had read great reviews on Yelp and Urban Spoon.  I'll tell you...If I could have given it 6 stars instead of 5, I would have.  Excellent and fun.

So there you have it...our weekend in Bedford PA.  I hope we get to go back soon!

Oh - Also!  Go to the Victorian Sampler Blog and sign up for her giveaway! Click here.

19 comments:

  1. Congrats to your lovely sampler finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing your Christmas sampler!!! When I got down to the part in your post about paper needle books, I bounced up and down and said "I have that"! Well it's almost the same. Mine says Sewing Susan instead of Traveler with the logo behind it. Found several at the local Rexall Drug Store that went out of business here 30+ years ago. Now I only have one needle book left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to you on your sampler finish, Lee! I know you are thrilled to have it finished. Your weekend away to Bedford, PA sounded like a lot of fun.

    Stay warm and have a good weekend!

    Robin in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Sampler finish :)
    It is pretty as a picture! And your stay in Bedford, PA sounds like a great good time! I used to work in Bedford, IN :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. very pretty. how nice you made a wonderful trip of it. I love the glass frogs. I still dont have one. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw "Bedford" and was going to point you at 10/09 Kitchen - how delightful that you've already found it! We're planning a return visit in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We almost went to Bedford--there was a special at the fancy-pants place you didn't stay in. (But we, you know, took our time as usual and still haven't done it.) Love your finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great finish to remember several Christmases. Bedford looks fun too.

    happy stitching...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have heard great things about the spa in Bedford, and it's nice to know the town has fun things also. Doubt we will ever go there as we used to live in Altoona and it doesn't seem like a getaway spot to us. Love your finished piece!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your finish! I love your fob! May I ask where you purchased it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your finish. It turned out beautifully.

    Your trip to Bedford sounds like it was a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing a chairside tour with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your lovely finish, Lee! Did you add that last bit in "wrought gladly by Lee.."? I just wondered...

    What a lovely weekend in Bedford and you got some cute things too! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really love this one, Lee! So glad you finally finished it. I seem to have no trouble stitching Christmas stuff all year long :)

    I've never stopped in Bedford, but it looks like it is worth a look. So glad you two had such a nice visit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so chared with your antiquing finds, not to even mention the stitching finish! Thanks for sharing it all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely finish! Your weekend sounds like it was a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your sampler finish and your shopping fun. Bedford has a great fall festival. I spent a long weekend there several years ago. I love the little town square. Glad you had a nice trip.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful finish! I love this design.How fun to get away and explore a new place.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic--you finished it! I DID take it out and work on it a bit lately... Jewel Tea! I grew up with having them deliver stuff to us in San Francisco! I distinctly remember popsicles we made from bottles of flavorings! They also sold little comb cleaning brushes--something you don't see now. Looks like a great place for a visit--not out of the question for someone in Virginia! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on a lovely sampler finish. Love the colours. Glad you found a new area to visit.

    ReplyDelete