Monday, April 07, 2014

Rounding the corner towards 60

I had a birthday last week.  It was Number 56.  There's something about passing the midpoint of a decade that gives me pause.  Sometimes it's super depressing.  Turning 36 sucked because there was something about turning 40 that blew me away.  Sometimes it's fun, like when I turned 46 and knew I had four years to plan a blow-out 50th birthday and 25th anniversary party.

But 56?  It was completely unremarkable emotionally.  Is it because 60 doesn't feel like a milestone?  Or am I just not seeing the milestones that lay ahead? Dave and I are already partly retired, both of us working part-time, so full retirement doesn't feel like a big deal.  I don't see weddings or grandchildren on the horizon.  But even if they were...those aren't my milestones.   So I guess my goal at 56 is to coast towards 60 and hope it's just that.... an easy coast.

Anyways....I had a wonderful birthday month.  It started with a fantastic trip with stitching buddies to Woodlawn Plantation to see the annual needlework exhibit.  And to do some shopping at In Stitches, of course!  I wish I had some show photos for you....but the folks at the needlwork show are very stringent with their No Photographs policy. And although I don't understand why - they never put photos of the winners online. I'll tell you, if I had won a ribbon, I'd want it plastered all over the Internets!

Then Dave and I took a 10 day break from a never-ending Pennsylvania winter with a trip to Florida.  It was just what we needed and we enjoyed every single minute of it.

We were home in time for a week long celebration of my birthday.  Let's see...there was a Robert Cray concert to kick things off.  Dinner and a comedy show with a good friend one night, an excellent Italian dinner with my husband another night, and then finishing a fun weekend by going to the Pittsburgh Pirates Opening Day.

My mailbox celebrated my birthday, too, bringing these gifts from my dear-heart of a friend, Sue in Kansas.


Here they are a little closer.  A lovely LaDDa wooden box

An extra special cake


A project bag, and Sue stitched the sunflower onto it!  Does this girl know me, or what?


As for my stitching?  I've been stitching small stuff through the month.  I think you've seen one of these LK Flip It Bits - January - already.  But last month I finished February.  And I finished my name tag to wear to one of my stitching group meetings.  I'm really enjoying the Flip Its...They're easy and relaxing.  



Some close-ups



And that's about it...till next time!

23 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday, Lee! What wonderful goodies you received from your friend; love the cake piece with the sunflowers. Congratulations on your stitching finishes! I really like the design for your name tag. Enjoy your week!

    Robin in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty stitching, and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday, Lee, sounds like a good celebration ....good grief it was a winter, for sure ....glad we are getting into spring. I love your name tag, I have to get one stitched for EGA....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! Sorry I'm a sucky record keeper and didn't realize it was coming.

    Very cute finishes. Love all of them.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday! Sue sent you some lovely gifts, & your smalls are very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Belated Birthday Lee!!! Don't feel too bad. Last month when I hit 57 it was just another day. I just get too depressed anymore thinking about time marching on. Glad you and hubby had a long birthday celebration. Your stitching and the gifts look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your stitching. You received wonderful gifts. I am glad your birthday was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great way to spend a birthday month! Great ways to celebrate!! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun way to spend your birthday! Love the nametag. I can't wait to see how you finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely gifts Lee! And great finishes! Did you come up with your nametag design yourself? I need to do one for myself and have such a block about it. Happy Belated Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Belated Birthday! By far the hardest birthday for me was 50. It's the first time I felt that I've lived more of my life than I have left. And that felt weird.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you got to escape winter for awhile! I hope spring is making its presence felt in Penn. now! We have 76 today and it feels sooooo good!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday. Some great gifts. To bad you couldnt get any pics of the show. I am sure there were some awesome pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am turning 56 in October. I am dreading the downhill slide to 60 I can't pretend I'm not getting old anymore. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice stitching and what great birthday gifts! I am almost the same age as you, I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A belated happy birthday to you! Sounds like you had a good time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here's hoping year 57 is the best one yet! Think of the wisdom you're gaining...
    Love all the stitching, but I'm especially impressed witht he yellow zipper project bag, Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy belated birthday! Woodlawn's needlework show ... oh, it's been years since I went. Used to live close enough to go yearly - what delight! Will be hitting 56 this year myself, but while this number doesn't bother me, am *not* looking forward to 60. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Belated Birthday. Beautiful gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Belated Birthday, Lee!! I know just what you mean about those mid-point birthdays! At least you feel like you have 4 long years to coast toward 60... With only 9 months until that milestone, I feel like I'm going faster than a speeding bullet! Yikes! Can we really be this old?

    Love that bag that Sue stitched for you--the yellow and black are stunning together. And your little LK finishes and nametag all look great.

    Glad you two enjoyed your FL getaway--we just got back on Sunday from four glorious 80° sunny, blue-skied days! Hope it warms up here soon and stays that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The thing I've learned about getting older is that whatever age you are, it's nowhere NEAR as old as you thought it was. The big issue, at least for me, is getting used to saying "I'm in my 40s" as opposed to "I'm in my 30s". Also, not a fan of jumping age categories on surveys. LOL Anyway, happy belated birthday - it sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Belated Birthday Lee! It sounds like there was lots of wonderful celebrating.
    Gorgeous stitching!

    ReplyDelete