Saturday, April 12, 2014

Stitch night topics

One of the things I enjoy about my stitch nights is listening to the conversations as they swirl around the room.  We talk about so many things - some serious, some silly.  But it's always interesting.

It's interesting because we are all different people, living in different situations and with different sensibilities.  Some of those differences might divide us in other environments, but not when we're in a stitching room!  So conversations flow and it's never dull.

And sometimes we re-visit old conversations.

For instance, one of our stitchers recently retired.  In the months leading up to her retirement date, she was wondering what it would be like when she didn't have to dress for work every day.  And since I am a fountain of unsolicited advise, I told her about the Fly Lady philosophy:   Schlepping around at home all day in slippers or bare feet makes you feel less ambitious.  You should put your shoes on every day because it will make you more productive.

Well, Nancy retired and then went South for a couple of winter months, so I didn't see her for a while.  But we were sitting across from each other last night and she told me that I was wrong with my shoe advice.  "Lee", she said, "It wasn't about wearing shoes.  It was about putting on a bra.  I was much more productive if I put on my bra."

Hmmm.  I think she's right!  Putting the girls where they belong tells me that I'm ready for the day...And setting them free at the end of the day tells me that I'm DONE.

What about you?  What piece of clothing or accessory tells you you're ready to get down to business?


15 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have a great group for stitch night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the stitching group. We had our EGA chapter meeting today and sometimes it is so interesting to just listen to the conversations to really get to know people. And definitely, the bra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly right! Since I've been unemployed it means I need to shower, fix the hair and yes, put on a bra before I feel productive. Shoes don't make the difference for me. I'm sorely missing some stitch night conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That made me crack up. I stitch every saturday with my stitching group. I love the conversation. Stitchers are the best. Kudos to those of you who are retired.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I always enjoy your posts and this one did not disappoint. I agree with the putting shoes on. It like like a signal you are ready to go out the door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shoes don't really do much for me either. Getting a shower, getting dressed, and doing hair... yep, I'm ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I put on my Nike Frees and I'm ready to tackle the housework! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. He he he, I had always wondered about fly lady's shoe theory, (we as a family never wear shoes in the house), I agree, your friends theory is much better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I love to walk barefoot the shoes are not what I need. While I don't think of the bra as the item that indicates I am ready to go it is part of the ritual. I have to get showered and dressed and then I am ready to work whether at home or else where.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh! I hate shoes. That would never work with me! I'd buy the bra theory. Or jeans/pants? I can't wear sweats or yoga pants. I might as well be in my jammies!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good lord! The bra is where I've been going wrong all along! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the chuckle this morning, Lee! I would have to say showered and dressed. Conversations with stitching friends and/or at stitching retreats is always interesting.

    Enjoy your day!

    Robin in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, that's where I've been going wrong -- wearing the bra will clean the house!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep, she's right about the bra. I don't feel like I'm ready to face the world without it...lol.

    ReplyDelete