Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Samplers and Quakers

I always dither about framing, but I think I've discovered a wonderful framer in Pittsburgh, who is not only reasonable, but also has a great eye for what goes with what.  I think I love her.  And I think I'm going to declare 2014-2015 "The Framing Years".  There are things happening in my life now that make me want to clear out closets and boxes anyway, so I'd like to stop spending money on stash (because it goes into a box) and start spending it on framing (because it stays out of the box)

Well....that's my plan.  I'll let you know how it works out.  Because I have other things I need to spend money on in 2015.  Like a wedding.  Or two.

Here's the Jan Houtmann Tree of Life sampler I worked on for 5 years.  2007-2012, to be exact, then two years to get up the gumption to frame it.   It's on 36 ct. white linen, with Au Ver A Soie silk. I can't remember the color numbers and to tell you the truth, their dye lots vary so much that knowing the numbers is useless.  Let's call it red and light red.

And boy, did I ever beat the heck out of that pattern.  Have you ever had a chart that is totally unusable when you've finished with it?  I kept the fabric and thread pristine, but the chart looks like it's been through a war.

That's a stone wall in the interior of my home, and that's where it'll hang.  But right now it's on the floor.


Here's a cute little Quaker you've seen before, but now it's framed and on the wall in my entryway.  It's a Goode Huswife design:  Quaker Four Corners, with HDF BeRedded silk on PTP Doubloon 32 ct. Jobelan.



And this has been around for a while, too.  I love the mat and frame choices my framer gave me.  Really perfect for this sweet little alphabet.  It's La D Da's "ABCD" done on 40 ct linen with Belle Soie Mer Blue.




Finally, here's my blue Quaker Samplings, by Ellen Chester of With My Needle.  I'll bet it's the first Quaker design I purchased long, long ago.  I loved every minute of stitching this, and I made some minor adaptations, pulling out some of the hearts and adding my family's initials and the year instead.  I think the design used Belle Soie Chester's Blue, but I chose Blue Lagoon silk. (Colorworks silk now).  I'll be sending this to the framer's very soon.



Ok, now I've stitched a red Quaker, a blue Quaker, a rust Quaker and a green Quaker.  What's next?


I'm thinking gold.  Or purple.  But probably gold....

22 comments:

  1. Lovely finishes all!! I love Quakers too and in my head I have planned a room filled with all the different Quaker samplers I have ever seen. I have a long way to go but some day... Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your photos. Love that Quaker 4 corners!
    Glad to have you back to posting.
    JHM

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! You have some impressive Quaker samplers! Yes, a Quaker wall will be lovely

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pieces look beautiful framed Lee. Wish I could find a decent framer.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely framing, Lee! Nice to see you back in blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Quaker samplers and all of yours are wonderful! Beautiful stitching and framing! Next up -- I'd do gold -- but then I'm partial to yellow - whatever you pick will be lovely I'm sure! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What gorgeous Quakers you have stitched! I especially love your blue ones. Glad you have found a framer! I agree that 2014 and 2015 should be the year of the frame.

    Robin in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are all so awesome. I especially like the Ellen Chester piece. She's a fave of mine. If you ever have the chance to take a class with her....run to it. She is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on all of those! And yay! for you finally getting things framed. I have so many pieces sitting in the closet. Maybe I should follow your example.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! My first thought was purple. Very spring-y.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't usually use mats because I find the whole choice thing oppressive, but I love the one your framer chose. How far is Pittsburgh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent plan! Out of the box!! Hooray! They look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely array of beautifully framed finishes! Congrats. Isn't it a thrill to see them framed and displayed? When I get one done, I wonder, why do I wait so long..? But then, I think, oh, right, the money... But you said a wise thing in this post that I will remember, instead of buying more stash...think of framing more of what I have lying in the drawer....!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh what lovely pieces!! You must tell me your framer, I'm also currently in Pittsburgh, and I've been pretty scared to get someone to frame my pieces. I've only had a Pat Catan's do it once, and I was slightly disappointed with the results (only slightly, but the cost seemed pretty extreme!).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! I especially love your Tree of Life piece.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many gorgeous finishes! They all look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful framing. It's so good when you get a framer you can trust and have a bit of faith in to do the job right.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My framer is excellent and lives about two minutes from me! She also does finishing!! She had worked for the LNS for many years, but branched out on her own now... She has clients everywhere! It is a MUST to have a good framer! All your pieces are gorgeous! I love doing quakers! So far I have only completed three. Many more in my stash! I like the purple idea, but green is also an option.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, excellent choice for your Project(s) of the Year.....lovely stitching, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your plan for 2015! A framer who has good taste and is reasonably priced is a true find. Look forward to seeing what comes out of the box next.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very beautiful stitching and framning!!

    ReplyDelete